Chapter 23 - Sub

If you look at her closely
You can see that
Every now and then
She turns away from her group of friends
Her smile falters
And she becomes a different person for a few seconds
A sad person
A person who is broken and damaged
And after a few depressing seconds
She goes back to the group
Smiling and joking around
She almost looks like she's actually happy
But if you look at her closely
You can see how fake her smile really is
And you can see all the wreckage behind it.

---------------------------------------------

~the next morning~

Kayleigh's POV

   I stepped into business class, and sat down in my seat.

   Kids all around me were buzzing. Apparently, our teacher had broken her wrist, so we were going to have a sub for the rest of the semester.

   Not that it was that exciting, we actually had subs quite often. I looked over at the black board, then stared coping the reading assignments into my notebook.

   I looked over to the classroom door as it opened, and the class settled down immediately.

Principle Murry walked in, closely followed by... Jack? My eyes widened. What was he, of all people, doing here, of all places?

   "Students, this is your teacher for the rest of the semester, Jack David." Principle Murry said. "And Kayleigh, I need see you in my office." She added, turning to me.

    I stood up, grabbing my backpack as I did so.

   "Hello students. I'm your teacher. Amy questions?" I heard Jack say as I gathered up my things.

   "Yes, you cutie." Jack said.

    "Are you like, free tonight? Cause we should totally go out." I heard the girl answer.

    "I might be. Put your number on the homework." Jack said.

    I walked out of the room, then sat down in the principles office.

    "Hey." Gabe said, coming in and sitting next to me.

   I smiled, and looked over at Principle Murry.

   "So, we have a new business teacher. He has informed me that he cannot teach Gabe due to...." Principle Murry looked up. "Why can't he teach you Gabe?" She asked.

   "Because I'm his apprentice." Gabe answered.

    Principle Murry wrote something down, then handed Gabe a piece of paper. "You'll be taking this class instead." She said, then turned to me.

    "Kayleigh, you know family can't be in a teacher - student relationship. Especially given your...situation..." Principle Murry trailed off.

   "I understand." I said quietly.

    Principle Murry smiled. "Good. You'll have study hall instead, and both of you can head there for the rest of this period." She said, waving her hands as if to dismiss us.

---------------------------------------------

Sorry about not posting much yesterday, (or probably today), I've been chillin this weekend, and hanging with Samson, cause my baby has to wear a cone on his head... :( more on that in my Kimmeg's Extras book!