Chapter 8: " His Gift "

It was close to 4 when Swara and Sanskar returned back to their home , their home Swara wondered how she was quick to address the house as hers when it hardly been a day but she didn't have any more time to wonder about her marriage when Laksh's mom told her that she has invited view guests over for dinner that included both Ragini and her family .

" I just talked with your Mom swara to invite her but  she told me that they can't make it because someone needs to be with your sister " Laksh mom clarified that  her parents declined to visit and secretly she was relieved that she didn't have to face her mom so soon after their confrontation .  

Since she didn't want there to be any awkwardness between Sanskar and her regards to sharing the room  , she planned to get ready first and leave . She quickly freshened up and left their room , she didn't get to see the rest of the house until that moment that she decided to give herself a tour of her own . 

The Maheshwari house was bigger than her uncle house and awhile her uncle house always looked bit daunting to her even as an adult ,her aunt kept the house crystal clean and as a child she feared that she may a spill something on the grand furniture's or accidentally leave any muddy footprints or most threatening of them all was accidentally breaking any one of the vases and statues that decorated the house .

There had been a time when her sister accidentally broke one of her aunt crystal vase and though her aunt never said a word about it ,the look that her sister received that day had been enough to scare them for the rest of their life . Her uncle house always felt like a museum to her but this house felt different because each room let her know people lived in the house and it was their home .

She already heard from Ragini the upper floor is where everyone room is located including the four guest rooms which meant left the ground floor filled with a huge living room , the kitchen and the dinning room , a library and a music room , she also noticed few office rooms one of them had been Sanskar and she smiled st the remainder of Laksh apology in the room . 

She was half way through her tour when she heard voices in the living room that she decided to join them wondering if guests arrived earlier and found herself greeting her aunt and uncle instead . There had been a moment of awkward silence as the three of them stood together without a word after the initial greeting until she looked at  her aunt who was wearing a similar expression as the one she gave her sister for breaking the vase .

" Don't you have anything nice to wear " her aunt words found its target as Swara looked her dress in  confusion, the salwar she wore had been new and pretty decent . Since she had been staying with her sister ,Swara had asked her mother to bring her few set of new dresses to exchange on the wedding and after her sudden marriage it was the only thing she had with her and she had been relieved to find that dress among them to wear tonight .  

" What wrong with the dress " her uncle came to her defense ,though he had been strict in many aspects of their life he never restricted them on what they should or shouldn't wear . 

" She is married and she should have worn a saree ,it is appropriate after marriage " her aunt words were calm but Swara felt close to tears , she hated that her aunt had magically expected Swara to have new set of wardrobe just like the one Ragini received for her wedding as if Swara had the same time to plan her wedding . 

" I didn't have any saree with me except for the wedding " Swara spoke up hoping they would understand her reasons for not wearing one .