Chapter 15:" A Cupid's Plan"

Ragini woke up next to her husband and felt a brief smile flicker across her face until she realized that it had been too cold, she wondered if the AC was set at low temperature but the coldness combined with shivers made her wonder if she was sick , and her worry came true the moment her husband woke up and gently leaned into kiss her instead end up taking a step back as if she was on fire, " Ragini,you are burning up" he shouted to her as if it was a news to her . Then went into near panic as he first rushed out of their room to bring in his mom and waited for his mom to somehow magically make her feel better.  

 " Yes Lucky, Ragini got high fever . Stop starring at me like that and call the doctor will you" his mother spoke up which made him do exactly as instructed ,then he continued to linger and hover around her till the doctor arrived and even then her laksh wanted a magical cure not the doctor to leave with just a prescription of tablets and an injection that ragini had to admit hurt quite a lot. 

Ragini had been sick quite a few times in her life but her mother never doted upon her as Laksh mom did and even though laksh was still panicking ,he hardly left the room . At first it was oddly satisfying to be taken care of but soon she could see the line of stress in her husband face and demanded him to take a walk outside before he exhausts himself . She hoped not seeing her would somehow make him stop worrying about her .

By the time Laksh returned back, he seemed to be calmer than before and Ragini thought her plan worked until she found herself starring at her cousin, Laksh was calm because now there was another person to take care of her. She felt oddly happy to know he would care about her so much even when her body felt like it was on fire, Swara had insisted to take care of her for the next few hours ,giving Laksh mother a break.  

       Ragini looked at her cousin who was genuinely  worried about her and knew Laksh was right that she could have found herself overcoming the jealousy if she accepted Swara as more than her cousin and never felt the need to compete  with her every single day. Her mother played a crucial part to make her feel inferior but Ragini should have never let her mother way of thinking define her .

   " I was always jealous of you Swara " the admission came out of nowhere but the surprise in Swara face indicated that it came quite as a shock to her cousin, it maybe the after effects of her medication but she wanted to tell her cousin everything ,and so she did .

Ragini was oddly relieved when Swara didn't say anything but listened to her until the end.

" Ragini, i know aunt controlled you but i never knew she used me to do so. You were never inferior to me infact no one is inferior to anyone ,everyone of us are equals and i would never undermine your position in this family, you are like my sister Ragini. Yes we may not gave gotten along better but we spend most of her life together and if you look at it we are going to spend the rest of our life together as well, so stop letting aunt undermine you , " her cousin spoke up yet again Ragini had to admit her cousin was right . Then they talked with each other for quite a long time

  It was the first time Ragini realized Swara had been not free from her mother meddling as well, She always looked at Sharmistha aunty as someone who was lovable but realized that awhile her mother used sternness to get her away,Sharmistha aunty used tears. Ragini only now realized they both had lot in common if only she had learnt to see Swara life from her point of view 

" I am sorry Swara, no matter what i should have never let you get married because of me" Ragini spoke up feeling rather ashamed of herself, now that she had seen laksh love and care, she knew he would have married her eventually even if not that day and she could have waited for him instead of assuming it was her last chance to escape