Chapter 10 :" The Other side of the Coin "

Ragini Gadodia scratch that Ragini Maheshwari locked herself up in her room. She was furious with her husband and hoped he would have the sense to spend the entire night away from their room. Because her emotions were running high and she might say something and regret it later, she already had a tough day where everyone fawned over Swara much to her mother displeasure and most of all it hurt to see her husband singing praises of Swara when he barely complimented her ,she was yet again a shadow to her cousin .

She hated herself at this moment where she couldnt control her emotions , she was always jealous of Swara a fact she would never admit to anyone other than herself in the locked room because she knew her cousin was all that is good and to feel jealous of her made her feel miserable . So she had denied her feelings regarding her cousin but today she couldnt get her mom parting words out of her mind.

" Step it up Ragini , or your cousin will hold your husband and his family in the palm of her hands " her mother words made her flinch because of the blatant hatred behind those words, her mom never liked Swara or Pari and yet she always belittled Ragini by comparing her with them.

Her mom always taught her how to be perfect and Ragini was perfect or at least she made sure everyone sees her as anything but perfect.She sacrificed too much for it to have it otherwise. She lived all her life under an iron rule of her mother. Her father loved her she can sense it but he never cared about what her daughter would actually want to do, he respects and trust his wife decisions but not her daughter opinions to him she will always be a little girl .

Ragini always knew Swara loves her and hence she tried so hard not to be jealous of her but no matter how hard she tried she couldnt help but be jealous of Swara ,so she did the next best thing tried so hard to never show it , Her jealousy stemmed from thee fact ragini spent all her life listening to her mother and following all her dictates, so that she can have her approval but Swara had it without even trying , every single thing her mom forced her to learn . Swara had been better at it ,be it Singing ,cooking and the countless lessons her mother forced her to learn. It didnt help that Swara was good academically as well that her father would wear his proud smile everytime his sister showed him the report cards that ragini feared to show him , her report card as being in the top ten is not equal to being first.

Add to it ,Ragini was jealous of her cousins parents who never expected much from their daughters but It was so hard to please her Mom, everything she does always never satisfies her and Swara just have to simply smile and Sharmistha aunty would be over the moon with happiness . She envied the bond Pari didi ,Swara and Sharmistha aunty shared whenever she visited them . Every time they tried to make her comfortable too .But somehow she couldnt fit in there family. Maybe it was because she always know it was not her family. Still she enjoyed living with them .

Ragini knew Swara or pari didi didnt like Sharmistha aunt demands just like how ragini hated her mother demands but the difference which they never guessed was what they might not like Sharmistha aunty demands but they knew their mother loved them , a fact Ragini couldnt believe when it comes to her mother . She never actually complained about anything in her life or was too scared to complain after the one incident.

She wanted to go on the trip so much that for the first time when she was 8 ,she begged ,pleaded and cried anything to convince her Mom still it was a Big No .For the first time she hated her Mom and knew that right now Swara would be planning for her trip as there parents always say yes to anything she asks if it didnt raise any objection from her dad, they buy her anything she wants too. She wanted to somehow become part of that family and never come back, she ran away from home well atleast that what she thought she was doing as she walked to her aunt house .

And saw Swara and Pari didi laughing with their parents as they talked loudly about the trip that ragini couldnt quite hold back the tears, the moment Sharmistha aunty noted her lurking in the house, she rushed to embrace Ragini and somehow ragini fooled herself to believe that she could stay there forever. But that day she realized that was not possible, once she calmed down, she saw sharmistha aunty signalling Shekhar uncle to let her parents know then mom and Dad came and took her back to her prison or home . Well sharmistha aunty tried talking for her and she loved her for it but nothing works with her mother . Soon she was facing her punishment for complaining about her family to someone , something Her Mom was not happy about, punishment being shipped off to her maternal grandparents house well if her Mom was strict her grandparents were lot more strict .From that Day She never complained or cried or was upset in front of others.