Chapter Ten - Trucks

We've reached a new high! #205. Boo ya.

Picture is Payton Bray.

Thanks for the AMAZING comments y'all are leaving! I absolutely love them and they make my day. Keep 'em coming!!

Sorry, it took a while to update! I kinda got excited about a future chapter and wrote that instead 😆 But on the other hand, you might get a double update in the near future :)

Nothing else to say. Enjoy the chapter!

PS- points to whoever finds the 'Hamilton' reference. I just couldn't help myself 😂😁

***

My feet pounded down the stairs, oblivious to my surroundings. I half-ran through the lobby and out the sliding doors before I even stopped to look around. That was mistake number three.

As soon as I left the hospital I started for the alleyways. Before I could get there though, my name was being called.

"Samantha?" The gruff and slurred voice met my ears.

I stopped dead in my tracks, fear overcoming me with the sound. I suddenly couldn't speak, move, or breathe. My heart struggled to keep up with the panic.

"What're you doin' here?"

My body slowly turned, coming face to face with James as he emerged from the side of the hospital. He had on his usual work attire, though it was quite more grungy than usual. The blue collared shirt was only half tucked in and the company's white lettering was stained brown. I stared at his frame, too afraid to make eye contact. Silent moments passed as I fought the urge to run.

"Answer me, girl," He growled, closing the distance between us. I looked around, my desperation flooding the street. I tried to catch someone's glance and a few people stopped to see the commotion. Once they saw James powerful frame, however, they continued on. No one wanted to challenge a stranger.

"I-I'm sorry. You caught me off guard," My voice squeaked as my gaze lifted to his face. I cleared my throat, trying not to reveal my fear. I knew he only played off it.

His eyes darkened slightly, clearly noticing what I'd tried to hide. "Aren't you s'posed to be at work? What the hell are you doing next to the hospital?"

"I am working," I started, noticing the stench of alcohol on his breath. "My boss needed me to pick up something from a vendor in the park."

The park was only a block from here. If he hadn't seen me leaving the hospital, the lie might work. I watched his features carefully as he studied my own. His eyes were narrowed as he glanced from my face to the street behind us.

"I'm supposed to meet him any minute now," I continued quickly, hoping to escape the situation.

James' calculating expression turned to a sneer. "Well, that's fine, innit? We can spend some time together tonight."

My body stiffened and I involuntarily stepped back.

"What's the matter, girl? Didn't 'cha like it las' time?"

No words would come to me as my mind was being flooded with horrifying memories that refused to leave. My mother's sobs filled my mind, filling in space between my own screams. My hand flinched to my lower back and I felt my skin slicing open all over again. I'd paid the price for standing up to him. A bloody, unforgettable price. My body had healed since then, but my mind refused to follow.

"So quiet today. Maybe tha' means ya learned your lesson."

My heart continued to speed up as he reached his hand forward, grabbing my broken wrist. As he tightened his grip, I let out a pleading gasp. He only smiled wider, glancing back into the shadows. His body tensed as he prepared to drag me back to hell.