Chapter Forty-Seven - For Now

With the end of our conversation, I believed Samuel would immediately leave the room. However, he tiredly backed away and sat down in the armchair next to Marshall's desk. Then, he looked at me, warily. 

"Bray's going to be throwing accusations out about you being human and with the gun. I'm going to try and isolate him, but I don't know if it's going to work. I'll bring you to the room next to Will and hopefully, everything will be sorted out in the morning."

I nodded, then paused. A memory from the night resurfaced and refused to go unnoticed.  "Samuel, there's something else about the gun," I slowly started, thinking back to Kade and his brother. 

Samuel looked at me, raising one of his eyebrows. "Yes?"

"Kade told me something and it doesn't make sense. I've tried thinking about it but no matter what, something is off." I tilted my head to the side, staring at the floor between us as if it held the answers. 

I hesitated, and when I did, Samuel let out a sharp breath. "Well? What is it?"

"Well, Kade told me that the wolves already caught up with his group and him and his brother were just trying to escape. The way he talked made it seem like the others were already caught." 

Samuel shrugged. The gesture was supposed to be nonchalant, but tension laced his shoulders. "He could have been lying. What does this have to do with the gun?"

"He said that the gun he had was the last one left. The wolves took them all when they captured and killed everyone when we were taken."

Samuel was quiet for a long time. He adopted an unreadable expression and held his fingers together against his nose. When he finally did speak, he kept his gaze trained on the floor. 

"How do you know he wasn't lying?"

I bit my lip. "I don't."

"Then, who shot at us if the humans didn't have guns?"

My shoulders sagged. "I don't know. Nothing makes sense."

Samuel shifted, opening and closing his mouth several times before eventually getting his words out. "Look, Samantha. What you're saying could be true. But, the humans have come after us before. They've lied before. It was just a few hours ago they killed half a dozen of us."

"It doesn't make sense, though," I quickly countered. "Everyone has a different story. How could the humans have gotten to us if Bray was hunting them? How could they have shot at us if they didn't have any guns? How did they get away so fast? Why didn't you hear them before?"

Samuel put up a hand, ending my slew of questions. "I don't have the answers, Samantha."

"Well, what do you think they are?"

He rested his elbows on his knees and pressed the tips of his fingers to the bridge of his nose. He stayed in that position for a long time, closing his eyes and letting emotion roll away from his features. I hated this new part of Samuel; the one that hid everything he felt. It was so different from the person I initially met. It used to be that I could tell exactly what he was thinking by the look on his face. Now, he was hiding everything. 

"It doesn't make sense," he eventually agreed, opening his eyes. "I don't know about the part if we took their guns or not. I haven't seen any. But, Riley stopped telling me things after all that happened." He sighed. "All I know is what you've told me, what Bray told me, and now, what some human said."

I tried to catch his gaze and failed. "None of the stories are adding up."

It was true; nothing made sense. If it wasn't the werewolves, it couldn't have been the humans. If what Kade was saying was true, then they had no guns to even fire at us. They'd practically been caught by the time Kade left them. If this was the case, and Kade had no reason to lie to me, they wouldn't have been able to escape a dozen werewolves hunting them down, much less run to the forest to shoot at us. Then again, I'd been betrayed by Kade before.