Chapter Sixty-One - Making Everything Right

My breathing came out short and ragged. Around me, I could hear the sounds of James and the other wolf fighting. I could hear Raven climbing out of the ditch. The smell of smoke was thick in the air as the person standing before me advanced, gun in hand. My world came to a standstill just long enough for me to whisper one accusation. 

"Bray."

He shot me a frozen smile. His eyes were narrowed and stance wide as he stalked toward me. Though I scurried away, I didn't get far. Arms that I now knew belonged to Raven wound themselves around me, holding me in place. I didn't bother fighting her off. My attention was still focused on the man in front of me who was holding my fate in his hands. 

Bray tilted his head and the gun followed. "Didn't expect to see me here? You humans are terribly naive." 

His smile turned into a glare when a loud snarl sounded. James had shifted into a wolf, and now had the other pinned to the ground, teeth hovering over his neck. They were both panting, and for just a moment, the darker colored wolf shifted his gaze to me. I saw Will's eyes within the beast, screaming at me to run, fight, or do anything to save myself. 

Raven's grip tightened. She locked my elbows and pushed my hands up, arching my back in a painful position. Mangled cries lingered in the back of my throat, a few escaping to pierce the silent night. 

After a moment, Bray turned his glare on me. "You're not worth all this trouble." 

Will's wolf sprang forward, getting another few gashes in on James before he was pinned down again. Payton watched the encounter with tangible fury. 

"And you," Bray turned to James' wolf, hovering over my brother. "You can't do anything right. Always with the extravagancies. Always with the games. Never able to deliver."

While keeping his gaze trained on the pair of wolves, Bray began a slow walk toward me. Raven tensed and pulled me closer to her body, sending a spasm of pain throughout my limbs. I struggled in her grasp, but there was no fighting her strength. Soon enough, Payton was standing before me, too close for comfort. 

He towered over my frame. When our chests were only inches apart, his gaze darted back to Raven and he smiled. She held me steady, long enough for Payton to tilt his head and regard my shaking frame. 

"How nice it is to have friends who have your back, isn't it, Samantha?" Bray sneered and paused before his light eyes flickered to Raven. "Despite my best judgment, you came through, Raven. I have to say I am surprised. Though, I think I am not the only one."

His smile grew wider, enhancing the glaciers supporting his expression. "Tell me, Samantha. Did you truly think it would be this easy, that everything you did simply worked in your favor, or are you as stupid as Raven's told me?"

My heart fell out of my chest and despite my best efforts, my gaze fell to the floor. Tears of betrayal stung more than just my eyes. I wanted to scream. I wanted to turn around and curse Raven for ever letting me believe I could trust her kindness.

"That's what I thought," Bray continued. 

"What the hell do you want?" I spat out, interrupting his monologue. "Why do you even care about me? About her?"

"Oh, I don't," He mocked. "This is not about you. You're just caught in the crossfire." 

Payton lifted the gun to my head, letting the barrel rest against my temple. My neck tensed as I drew in a quick breath. "If this isn't about me, then let us go. We just want to leave without any troubles." I paused, trying to gain control of my trembling voice. "If not me, then let Will go. He doesn't have to be apart of this."