Chapter Sixty-Five - Chiefs

It was almost evening. Samuel and I spent the day together, mostly in silence. Unfortunately, the chiefs were growing impatient. They came to the hospital and there was no more avoiding anything. 

Samuel stood next to me, holding my hand, as they entered. The door shut behind them with an ominous thud and the air in the room thickened. The two of them, a man and a woman, stood rod-straight, staring at Samuel and me. The woman was taller than the man by several inches. Her skin was as pale as the hospital light and her eyes were tired. She had long black hair pulled into a high ponytail that swished as she walked further into the room.

The man stood short but was built like an athlete. He had tan skin and dark hair that was growing thin. His eyes were cold and sunken, but when he spoke, his words were warm.

"Delighted to meet you, Samantha," he said with a drawn-out accent. "My name is Theirn and this is Kay." Theirn turned to Samuel. "Good to see you on your feet, Beta."

Samuel nodded his head to both of them. "Chief Knox. Chief Spears."

The woman, Kay, spoke next. "We need to ask you several questions before we can proceed."

I took a breath. "I understand."

She turned to Samuel. "I hope you understand our need to speak without you here."

Samuel stiffened, then nodded. "Of course." He bowed his head to each of them again, then turned to me. "I'll be right outside."

He gave my hand a squeeze and left the room. As soon as he was gone, I felt my chest tighten. Kay and Thiern stared at me with looks I couldn't quite decipher. I tried not to picture them as the all-powerful werewolves they actually were. I tried to ignore the fact they could kill me in less than a second. I tried not to think about what would happen if I told them something they didn't want to hear.

Theirn was the first to break the silence. "Beta Samuel has told us a lot about you."

"It is not often a human has a mate," Kay interjected.

My fingers twisted together and I took a deep breath. "Yes, that is true."

"Do you believe yourself to be his mate?" Kay tilted her head and the light inside the room seemed to draw the rest of the color from her face.

I furrowed my brow as my stomach twisted. "Humans can't have mates."

"We realize this," Theirn spoke, taking one small step forward. "But, what do you believe?"

I paused for a moment. "I don't know. I trust Samuel."

Kay nodded and Theirn smiled. "A diplomatic answer," he said, rubbing a rough hand along his arms.

"It's the truth," I told them.

Kay looked around the room. "Have you always trusted him?"

"Well, no," I said. "Trust is earned."

Theirn laughed, abruptly, rocking back on his heels. "Perfect answers."

Kay narrowed her eyes and looked down at the man. She spoke to me, but her gaze remained on Theirn. "Tell us of what happened."

I took a deep breath. "Starting when?"

"When you first met the Beta," broke in Theirn.

I struggled at first. So much had happened in so little time, and I hadn't wanted to leave anything out. I didn't want them thinking I was hiding anything, or that Samuel had some long and secret plot I was involved in. He deserved to be Alpha. It didn't matter if he was once human. He was better than any wolf I'd met, before.