Chapter Fifty-Six - Unconcious Vegetable of a Brother

The journey to the house was uneventful, but the further we drove from Samuel's apartment, the more distant he became. The drive began with us holding hands and smiling at the sunrise, but by the time we arrived at the house, Samuel's hands were plastered to the steering wheel, and his mask was back on. The short walk to my bedroom was the same.  Samuel dropped me off outside my door, mumbling something about needing to wake up Goldie. He left me standing in the doorway without another word.  

I stood in the hallway for several moments. My bed called to me. My head was spinning. Despite this, I turned away from the door and trudged down the corridor. I was exhausted and overwhelmed, but I knew Will would be awake soon. He was always a morning person, no matter the circumstances. My only consolidation as I turned from sleep was that I could collapse onto Will's bed as soon as I made sure he was okay. He was likely going to be too tired to carry a lengthy conversation, anyway.

I was surprised to find Will's door unlocked. My surprise only halted me for a moment though, before I inched open it open and crept into the room. As soon as the door was locked behind me, I caught Will's eye.

"Hey, stranger." 

Will smiled at me from his position on the bed. He was sitting up and leaning against the large headboard. His blonde hair was sticking straight up as if he'd run his hands through it too many times, and there were dark circles under his eyes. 

"Hey, yourself." I walked over and sat in the chair next to the bed, crossing my legs and resting my chin in my hands. "How'd you sleep?"

Will looked me up and down. "Better than you."

I laughed once. "That's probably true."

"What did you do last night? You should have slept. You never could pull an all-nighter." 

I raised one eyebrow. "Why do you automatically assume I did something?"

He rolled his eyes and tilted his head while gesturing to my body. "You're wearing the same clothes I saw you in last time."

I lowered my gaze and half-smiled at the floor. "I could have slept in these."

"Okay, sure. I believe that." He folded his arms and smirked. 

"I don't appreciate the sarcasm."

"I never asked you to."

"Someone's in a good mood," I laughed.

He shrugged and rolled his shoulders back. "I'm feeling better. Got some good sleep."

I narrowed my eyes. "So those dark circles are just for decoration?"

"Allergies. What can I say? I'm allergic to dogs."

We both burst into laughter. I couldn't keep the smile off my face as I looked Will over. Compared to before, he almost looked like a new person. He was wearing clean clothes, there wasn't any blood caking his skin, and his movements were smooth and light. Though there were plenty bruises along each of his limbs and permanent shadows of exhaustion under his eyes, he was doing better.

My gaze lingered on his for a moment, and I smiled wider. "Your eyes are back."

Will's hands shot up to cradle his face. "I didn't know they left!"

I laughed again and pulled his hands back down to his lap. "They're not red anymore, genius." 

He looked at me for a moment, and I further studies his eyes. They were the familiar dark brown I'd always known. They brought back memories of late nights, comfort, and home. It had been too long since I'd seen them.