Chapter Thirteen - The Safe House

Hey, everyone!

Thank you for your patience on waiting for an update. If you didn't see my message, I got sick and was down for a few days. BUT I'M BACK! 

New highest ranking...drumroll........#102 on Sep 27! YUUUSSSSS YOU GUYS ROCK!

***

It had to be beyond the next horizon. 

That's what I kept telling myself as my feet propelled me forward, continuing to push as far as I could see. It was easier to see now, considering the darkest part of the night had passed and rays of the sun were slowly beginning to rise. My path no longer was dark and malicious, scattered with varying things I could trip over, but illuminated in the soft glow of the morning sun. 

I expected the morning to give me renewed energy, or at the very least a newfound sense of direction. However, it gave me nothing but light. I was beyond grateful I could now see, but everything else was beginning to ware. My body ached, my lungs begged for air, my feet were numb, and my broken wrist was throbbing in time with my heart. I desperately wanted to stop and give my body a rest, but I wouldn't allow it. Not until I found the safe house. 

So, I trudged on. I tried to ignore the protests from each of my limbs and distract myself with thoughts of freedom and what it would be like outside the country. The war would be raging, but that meant there would be towns where the wolves weren't in charge. I'd find one of those towns. I'd find a place to live, people I could trust. I'd enlist the help of others to go back and rescue my mother and Will. We'd all live together, free from the reign of those who thought they were above us. 

I smiled to myself at the daydream, letting that hope propel me forward. The thing that excited me most was that it wasn't just a daydream anymore, it was becoming a reality. All I had to do was keep moving and I would make it come true. My smile widened as I suddenly realized that I had the power to do anything I wanted. There was no longer anyone forcing me to behave a certain way because of who I was perceived to be.

It was mid-morning now, and nothing around me had changed. Not the scenery, not my aching body, but not my determination, either. By this point, I was once again in desperate need of food and water. I paused momentarily, ducking behind a particularly thick tree. I leaned on the trunk, giving myself a moment of relief, as I dug through my backpack. I'd been careful with my supplies, so there were still quite a few things to pick from. In the end, I grabbed a bottle of water and can of diced chicken. I would need the protein to keep my body moving. 

Once I had the items in my hands, I packed up and began moving again. If I stayed leaning against that tree any longer, I was afraid I wouldn't get back up. So, I continued on, but this time with the companionship of the chicken. 

The sun was directly above my head now, and I began shedding my various layers. Kade's jacket was the first to go, followed by my own that I'd slipped on halfway through the night. They each went into my bag as I was sure I'd need them again later. I was debating taking off my extra pair of socks when I came upon a small clearing. I stopped in my tracks as I noticed the trees thinning to reveal a small white stone building. 

I stared at the building in shock. Was I imagining it? I began to move forward again, but movement inside the building sent me to the ground. I crouched in place, making sure I was concealed by the brush. As I sat on the ground, I listened to a foreign voice. It came from inside the house and I was only able to hear the sound because of a window that stood ajar. The voice was deep, however, so I deemed it to belong to a man. 

I concentrated harder as I tried to pick out what the voice was saying. However, I soon realized I didn't have the hearing of a werewolf. I sighed before adjusting my weight to lift myself slowly up. My eyes scanned the house, falling on the window I heard the noise coming from.