Chapter Twenty-One - Wolves- Part Two

The large wolf stared down into our hole for what seemed like an eternity. Its eyes lazily glanced at me before moving to Samuel, where they'd been resting ever since. The wolf's gaze would occasionally glance upwards and look around, but it would always return to stare down Samuel. Samuel's face remained expressionless, despite the fact the wolf and he were seeming to silently communicate. However, the only information I could gather from their looks was an untold thought dancing in Samuel's eyes. 

Finally, the wolf's head started to creep away. I met Samuel's gaze and he gave me a once-over. My expression turned to a scowl as he smiled apologetically and opened his arms. He started to speak but was cut off by a smooth voice echoing from above. 

"I know you missed me Samuel, but you didn't have to dig your own grave."

I whipped my head upwards to see a man smirking down on Samuel and me. Thick and tousled brown hair fell around a bright and mischevious face. Sharp eyes bore into our own, but it was impossible to tell anything else. The sun was burning against the mans back, casting his face into long and untelling shadows. 

Samuel suddenly laughed. "I just couldn't help myself, Riley."

I stilled. My breathing was cut off as my eyes darted wildly between the two men. 

"I don't really blame you there, Sammy boy," Riley chortled. "Now tell me, is this the mate I've heard nothing about?" I suddenly felt Riley's eyes burning into my shoulders.  

I kept my gaze down but quickly glanced quickly to Samuel, just in time to see him shrug his shoulders. "Let's do introductions later. You want to tell me what's going on up there?"

"I already told you." Riley shook his head as he glanced up momentarily. "There's not a lot going on. It seems like they're all in the house. Stupid sons of bitches didn't think anyone would get into their camp. How many are there again?"

"Close to sixty. It seemed about a third or a little more were fighters."

"And the rest?"

"Probably their families." Samuel finished with a glance my way. I met his gaze and deepened my scowl, folding my arms and pushing myself deeper into the dirt wall. I heard Riley shuffling around above us, but neither Samuel or I paid him any mind. Samuel kept my gaze, his eyes searching my features.

"You got the bullets?" Riley suddenly asked. 

Samuel kept my gaze for a moment longer before he shifted his weight and slowly stood. He reached into his pocket and pulled out the small bullets, holding them up for Riley to see. I looked at his fingers and swore I could hear the skin sizzling as the material burned deeper into his fingertips. Riley nodded at us as his face suddenly disappeared for a moment. In that moment, Samuel expertly threw each bullet towards the sky. They smoothly passed through the silver bars where they fell into Riley's extended hand. He inspected them each for a moment while they burned small holes into his palm.

"This is pretty pure. How did they get it?"

"I didn't exactly have time to ask them that," Samuel rolled his eyes.

"Well, that was helpful of you."

Samuel mumbled under his breath while he sat back down. I shrank further into the wall as Riley's face appeared once more, watching us. Though, I knew his eyes were resting more on me. It was impossible not to feel the heavy glare.

"You know what? I'm going to need you to shift," Riley suddenly commanded Samuel. 

Samuel stilled for a moment. "Why?"