Chapter Forty - I Can't Let You Go

I stared for a moment at the red door, half expecting Samuel to come back and take me with him. I refused to believe that he'd actually left me alone, or that he didn't so much as think twice about leaving me behind. Much to my surprise, and distaste, the thought stung. It pulled at my heart in places I hadn't even realized Samuel had strings attached to.

Our time together since I'd been brought back to town was decent. Samuel had been trying. He didn't seem to be keeping things from me, he was giving me my space, and he wasn't pushing me. Though I refused to admit it, I was beginning to find I didn't hate the man, and I'd begun to trust him, if only slightly. While I held a deep resentment for my situation, I couldn't find it in me to blame Samuel for the things going wrong. But, when the heavy door stayed closed, it felt like everything shattered. The small portion of me that was finally starting to relax, took a plunge into the ocean. 

I stared at the door for a second more, before a frustrated scream escaped my lips. I shot my hands through my hair, pulling at it to ease the hysteria rising in my chest. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the woman named Raven flinch, but I paid her no mind. In the moment, I could do nothing but let a slew of curse words rain from my lips, each and every one of them directed at Samuel.

Without thinking, I let out another mangled cry and reached for my shoes. I pulled them on in a smooth motion, ignoring the fact that I wouldn't make it two steps outside this apartment. I wasn't naive enough to believe Samuel left someone with me for the company. However, I was going to do everything in my power to get out of here and get to my brother. 

Sure enough, the minute I headed for the front door, Raven was blocking my way. She stood before me, taller and stronger, but with hesitation. Her chocolate brown eyes refused to meet my own.

"Move," I ground out, ignoring her anxious expression.

"I'm sorry, but I can't let you go." Her voice was soft, but it held an unwavering conviction. As she spoke, she pushed her black, wavy hair, behind her ears. 

I sighed, pinching my nose. "Look. I don't know if you understand, but my brother is going to be killed if I don't leave this apartment."

Her stance faltered. The minute it did, I darted around her. She was caught off guard and I was able to grip the doorknob and pull it harshly. However, when I did, it didn't move. No matter how hard I pulled against the shining metal, the door refused to open. 

"What the hell?" I cried out, relentlessly tugging at the door.

The next moment, Raven was in my vision and pulling me back. Her grip was surprisingly strong and it was enough to make me lose my footing, causing me to trip backward and fly through the air. Before I could hit the ground though, she caught my elbow and lifted me back up.

"They locked it from the outside," she huffed, straightening the both of us.

I ripped my elbow from her arm, scowling at the door. Just as I was about to try it again, Raven placed herself in between me and the wood. Her back was leaning against the door, and when I glared at her, she awkwardly tucked her arms behind her back.

"I'm sorry about your brother," she rushed out. "But I can't let you leave. Both the Alpha and Beta told me to keep you here."

I paused. "Both of them?"

She slowly nodded, her short waves falling back on her face. "Both of them. Alpha Riley told me if I let you leave then I'd have to face him in the morning." She paused, looking directly into my eyes. "Please don't leave."

Her words hit me like a freight train. "He threatened you?"

"I'm sorry."

I paused, staring at her. I'm sure it came across as a cold and hard glare because honestly, I couldn't keep the expression off my face. I was completely torn. There was no doubt in my mind that I had to get to Will, or he would be killed. But, if I left, the very same could happen to this woman.