Chapter Thirty-Eight - Something's Happened

The room was dark and still. Hours had passed since Samuel left, and in that time I'd easily fallen asleep. In fact, I would have still been asleep if it weren't for the incessant slew of noises coming from just beyond my door.

It had only been a few minutes ago that I'd woken up from another nightmare to the sounds of doors opening and closing and Samuel cursing. Too drained to move, I stayed lying in bed, listening to his voice grow in anger. After a while, it was clear I wasn't going back to sleep, and Samuel wasn't going to cease his increasingly loud tantrum.

Eventually, I dragged myself out of bed, wrapping a blanket around my shoulders as I did. Glancing at the clock, I realized it was barely a few hours into the night, and nowhere near morning. This sent a spark of annoyance through my heart, just as a loud and harsh thud was heard outside my door. I annoyedly stalked towards it, intending to peek outside my room and give Samuel the glare of the century. When I opened my door, however, I stopped in my tracks.

The harsh and white light of the kitchen initially burned my eyes, but when they adjusted, I had to take a step back from the scene before me. Samuel was wildly pacing the kitchen and living room, knocking everything over in his path as he did. His phone was held tightly to his ear and he spoke into it furiously. His hair was wildly out of place and the only thing he wore was a long pair of black sweatpants.

I made a small noise as he knocked over another barstool, retreating further into my room. However, the moment the noise left my lips, Samuel stopped dead in his tracks and turned to face me. His features softened immediately, though his eyes still burned with anger.

"Samantha," he spoke, still holding the phone to his ear.

His attention was drawn away from me when the voice on the other end responded. Samuel's features quickly darkened once more, and he turned away as he snarled into the phone. I couldn't catch what he was saying, but after another minute, he hung up. As he slipped the small device into his pocket, he held out his hands and slowly walked towards me. I immediately pulled the blanket tighter around myself, flinching back from his large and raging frame. This didn't faze him though, and it was as if he'd been expecting my reaction.

"What's going on?" I called out as he continued slowly walking towards me. My eyes darted around the room, eyeing all the turned over furniture, then back to the man who was obviously the culprit. I knew from the way he walked that Samuel was anything but calm and I didn't want him anywhere near me.

Samuel caught my gaze, and as if reading my mind, stopped walking. "It's alright, I'm not going to hurt you. I'm fine."

My eyes scanned his body, and I could see that he was struggling to ease the tension in each muscle. We stood at an impasse for a moment, neither of us moving, as his hands clenched into fists then relaxed at his side. I knew he wouldn't move again without my permission, so after a while, I stiffly nodded and repeated my earlier question. "What's going on?"

Almost immediately after I nodded, Samuel began walking towards me again. It was even slower this time, and it felt as if he was waiting for me to run away. But, I stayed rooted in place. This meant little to Samuel because even when I did, he came only as far as the kitchen counter closest to my door. He then stopped and leaned against it, folding his arms.

"Something's happened," he started, watching me carefully. "It's Will."

My heart fell out of my chest, and I half cried, "What's wrong?"

"Why don't you sit down?" He abruptly turned from me and picked up the barstool he'd knocked over, gesturing for me to take a seat. I numbly heeded his words, waiting for him to speak again. However, Samuel seemed at a loss. His face held a distant scowl, and he'd resumed his closed-off stance from before. His anger from earlier was just on the surface, and it wasn't hard to tell he was still fighting to keep it at bay.