Chapter Eleven - Discussing a Mutual Hatred

Hello, again wonderful people!

What does everyone think of the new cover? Yay? Nay? Old? New?

WE'VE HIT 8,000!! Still can't believe that. Like, at all.

The picture is the wonderful Kade. 

As always, thanks much for the votes and comments. Because y'all are so amazing, I am going to try and update more frequently! I may be getting ambitious here, but I am going to try and post a new chapter 2-3 times per week.

Anyway, keep being amazing and don't forget just how wonderful you are!

Mquistey

***

"Well, how far back do you want me to go?" Kade mused, eyes trained on the road. 

I thought for a moment before responding. "I already know the basics. I mean, I was so young when it happened, but my mother's told me a bit. There was a war, the wolves obviously won, etcetera. I don't know anything more than that."

"That is the basics of it," Kade started, eyes trained on the road.

"How old were you when it happened?"

"About ten. Old enough."

I paused, seizing the chance to ask him to elaborate. "What was it like?"

His hands tightened and released the steering wheel a couple more times before responding. When he did, all trace of humor was gone. 

"At first, it was nothing. People just kept disappearing. The news told us it was terrorists. Drug lords. Stuff like that. Then, the people who disappeared started showing up again. Only, they weren't themselves anymore. They were-"

"Werewolves," I finished, glancing out the window. 

"The one and only. Once that happened, no one could deny their existence. Then, the story changed to peace. The government had found a new way to live longer or some shit like that. But, people kept on disappearing, including the higher-ups. Before long, more than half of every country's government was gone. Companies were falling, supplies were limited, and most everything went under. They told us it was fine, but we knew it wasn't. 

"Small fights broke out here and there, but people were mostly just scared and starting to panic. We knew something was coming. Before long, at least everybody had lost some member of their family, if not multiple. That's when we finally realized it. They were building themselves up. Building an army, so to speak. Trying to outnumber us. At that point, we tried to fight back, but by then it was too late."

I let out a small breath, thinking of my family during that time. I didn't remember anything, so I drew my own conclusions. My mother never talked about him, but I knew by common sense that at one point I'd had a father. I didn't like to think of him often, for fear of what his story might be. There wasn't much of a chance he was human anymore- or alive. Kade's words only added to those suspicions. 

"That's when the war started, isn't it?" I asked, focusing back on the big picture. 

He nodded. "They almost outnumbered us by the time we saw what was actually happening. We didn't stand a chance."

"But, why? Why did they do it?" 

"Why does any predator attack? To get stronger. To get control. If you ask me, they're just waiting until they can change or kill us all. Humans are weak compared to them. They need to be killed off. To them, it's just a matter of time before we stop fighting and surrender."