Chapter Fifty-Nine - The Night We Live

Song: Dean Lewis - Waves

***

The sound of a car door shutting awoke me. A moment later, Samuel appeared at my side with a guilty expression.

"I didn't mean to wake you."

I rubbed my eyes and blinked away the last of my sleep. The trip to the funeral site had taken longer than expected, and since I wouldn't be sleeping for the foreseeable future, a well-deserved nap had taken up the entire journey.

"You would have had to wake me up eventually," I yawned. "I'm not a talented sleepwalker."

Samuel laughed. "I would have carried you, Samatha."

"Right," I scoffed. "I've got two legs that work perfectly fine for the time being, and I intend to use them."

He rolled his eyes and helped me out of the car, shutting the door softly behind me. It took a moment for my eyes to adjust to the darkness surrounding us, but what I saw still left me confused.

"Where are we?"

Samuel took my hand and began walking forward with me in tow. "Just outside the clearing. There's nowhere to put the car once we're there."

"Makes sense," I nodded.

His voice dropped below a whisper and he glanced down at me. "Are you ready to show the pack how close to death you've become?"

I laughed once and let my body fall limp against Samuel. "It's getting hard to walk. I actually don't think my legs work, anymore."

I felt his chuckle rather than hearing it. With my weight leaning against him, his body shook in time with his silent laughter. Instead of saying anything after that, Samuel adjusted his arms so that he was holding up my waist and supporting most of my weight.

The two of us walked that way through the forest. The further we hiked, the denser the forest became. I knew it would clear eventually, as Samuel had explained in great detail what to expect out of tonight. Still, as the trees began to grow sporadic, I wasn't prepared for the sight ahead of me.

The clearing was unlike any I'd encountered before. Forested woods stretched around the perimeter with gentle rolling hills in every direction. There was one particular hill that broke away from the forest and had been cleared of any trees or obstacles. It seemed to go on forever, blending in with the horizon as the shining sky enveloped the ground in a welcome embrace.

People of all ages were scattered around the clearing. They grouped together, speaking in hushed tones. Each of them was clothed similarly to Samuel and me; dresses and suits all in the pack's signature red color. Though many tried to hide it, they watched as Samuel and I broke through the treeline to join the crowd. I tried to ignore their pointed and scrutinizing stares, sinking further into Samuel.

In the middle of the clearing was a bonfire larger than life, itself. Wood was stacked high with countless platform like structures atop each pile. On each platform was an intricately carved box large enough to hold the bodies of those who passed. Samuel had explained to me that these caskets were specially designed by each of the families who had lost someone. Each was unique to the person they held.

The night before, after Samuel had finished explaining what I should expect of the funeral, I was taken aback. It all seemed like a garish affair that was too much trouble for what it was worth; however, witnessing it in person was different than having it described. It wasn't a gruesome or harrowing sight to see caskets burning in the fire like I'd thought it would be. It was beautiful.

The hushed voices of everyone in the clearing set the tone for reverence. The moon above gave a gentle light the fire could not provide. Trees and forest around the clearing made it seem as if the rest of the world didn't exist. It was only those who'd passed away, and those who came to celebrate their lives.