Chapter Thirty-Four- Something I Should Know

Riley held up his hand, quieting me, and trained his gaze on the door. His words slowly sunk in as I waited with him for Samuel's arrival. 

Barely a minute passed before Samuel flew into the room. His eyes darted to each corner, scanning over every piece of furniture and speck of dust. He was clearly winded, his hair was a mess, and his stance was ready to pounce.

Riley laughed, looking at his phone. "Twenty-five minutes. I'm impressed, Sammy boy."

Samuel finished his once-over of the room and glanced at me, relaxing slightly as he took the time to scan me over, as well. When he was satisfied, Samuel looked away and pulled at his new shirt, adjusting his dark jacket.

"What can I say? I missed you, Riley," He joked, but his tone was distracted.

Though I knew he didn't mean those words, I had to hold back a scoff. Both of their nonchalant attitudes were enough to infuriate me. Samuel must have noticed my reaction, for he suddenly sent me a wild grin, ignoring Riley's presence completely. 

"Well, that's a good thing, then," Riley sneered. "I've got to talk to you about a few things. Since you've so wonderfully gone missing the past week, you've got a lot of catching up to do."

"It can wait." Samuel stared at me while he spoke, keeping that enthusiastic grin in place. "We should be out of here in a couple days, anyway. I'm sure you won't kill anyone until then."

Riley sighed heavily, rising from the chair. He walked over to Samuel, placing a hand on his shoulder. "It can't wait, and I can't promise anything."

Samuel begrudgingly looked at Riley, lowering his voice. His smile faltered. "What's going on?"

Riley nodded towards the door, turning Samuel to walk with him out into the hallway. However, Samuel refused and stayed rooted in place. They both whispered harshly for a second, Samuel gesturing towards me while they did. 

If Riley was aggravated by his defiance, he didn't show it, but instead let out another heavy sigh, rolling his eyes and half turning to face me. "Such a heartthrob." He smirked suddenly as he shook his head and patted Samuel on the shoulder. "Just remember, you're the one who said, you wanted to wait. I'll be in the hall."

With that last cryptic statement, Riley sauntered out of the room, closing the door behind him. When he was gone, Samuel groaned and ran a hand down his face before coming to sit heavily in his chair. 

"Sorry about that."

"It's fine." I laughed once, immediate relief flowing through me at Riley's disappearance. 

Samuel raised an eyebrow, watching me curiously. "How was Riley's company, then?"

"Fine," I repeated, though less chipper.

My thoughts went back to the Alpha for a moment. They clouded together as I remembered our conversation, dampening my mood once more. I hadn't even been given the chance to sort through a single thought before Samuel came back. Now, I'd be expected to implement Riley's new plan, and I had no idea how. Even if I preferred Samuel over Riley, that didn't mean I was ready to spend forever with him and pretend to enjoy it. I needed time to figure this out. 

"Your face tells me otherwise," Samuel smirked, reaching forward to grab one of my hands. He intertwined our fingers and began tracing my knuckles. 

I fought the instinct to pull my hand away. Ignoring his statement, I instead redirected his attention. "Did you get everything taken care of?"

Samuel nodded and absently began running his other hand through his winded hair, putting the strands back into place. I watched him, my curiosity heightening, as I thought of what could have been important enough to cause him to leave, if only for a small amount of time. Luckily, Riley hadn't been too bad, but I would have preferred not to spend time with him at all.