Chapter Twelve - Into the Woods

New highest ranking....#157 on Sep 27!!! YOU GO, GUYS! 

Picture is Margaret

This is a pretty short chapter, so I apologize for that! BUT I'm going to try and have the next chapter up this weekend. 

Thank you so much for your support!! I love you all and all your votes, follows, and especially comments! Those things make my day, seriously. 

Ok, enjoy!

Mquistey

***

I awoke to trees. Neverending masses of vibrant green spotted with shades of wood. It would have been a beautiful sight, but the sun was well into its descent. Shadows were carelessly dancing across the gravel, attempting to swallow the trucks who dared to invade their space.

It was suffocating. 

I took in my surroundings, waking from my light sleep, and looked over to Kade. His body was relaxed and his face neutral, but I could tell he was deep in thought. He noticed my stirring and glanced over at me, smiling quickly. 

"I was just about to wake you up. We're not too far from the drop-off." 

I stretched my limbs, preparing them for the walking they were about to do. It was then I noticed the backpack at my feet, filled with my own supplies and their payment. 

"I almost forgot," I told him, rummaging through the bag. 

He watched my movements from the corner of his eye as he kept one hand on the steering wheel. I pulled out the grocery sack Remmy had given me, removing two or three items from the bag for myself. I put the few things back in my backpack and held out the rest for Kade. 

"What's that?" He asked.

"Uh," I hesitated. "A payment?"

Understanding light up his face. "Oh, that's right. You can give it to Margaret. But," He drew out the last word. I noticed the car slowing down as he stopped it momentarily. When we were at a standstill, he reached for the sack. He took out several more items and stuffed them into my backpack before giving me a small smirk. "You need more than an hours worth of food and water."

"But, that leaves you with hardly anything," I protested.

He let out a short laugh. "We're not the ones running through the woods for a couple of days. I think we'll be alright." His gaze lingered on mine, carefully watching my eyes. 

I looked again to the backpack, comparing it to the volume of the plastic sack. Kade had given me almost all of the supplies. I pointedly stared at it, not quite sure what to do. 

"I really can manage with less," I disagreed. 

Kade broke his gaze and rolled his eyes, pulling the car forward once again. "Trust me, you really can't."

"Well then, thank you," I huffed out a breath, trying to hide my excitement. The extra supplies really would help. I might stand a chance, now. I'd told myself I'd find food and water along the way, but I knew the slim chances of that actually happening. Now, I didn't have to worry and could focus solely on running. 

"Are we almost there?"

"Just a bit further," he told me before hesitating. "So, what's your plan?" 

"My plan?"

"Ya, like, how are you going to make it all the way up north?"

I paused. I hadn't thought I'd actually make it this far. "By walking, I guess."

Not My Alpha (Completed)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें