Chapter Thirty-Three - Go On, Ask Me

(Pic really has nothing to do with chapter...just thought it was cool XD )

***

Samuel begrudgingly started leaving the room, repeating over and over again that he'd be back soon. He wasn't keen on leaving, and multiple times he tried to make an excuse to stay.  However, because he was so distracted, his excuses were weak and easily dismissed by Riley. 

I stayed impassive while Riley shoved Samuel along, pushing him through the door. When he was finally out of the room, down the hall, and out of earshot, Riley turned to me. I expected his face to darken and the threats to insue, but he kept his cheerful demeanor.

"I doubt he'll even be an hour," Riley mused. "Honestly, I'm surprised he left in the first place. I thought it'd take a lot more than that."

I held my breath and nodded. It seemed that was all I was capable of. 

Riley laughed. "You don't need to worry, I'm not going to kill you. It'd be too messy. Plus, Samuel would never forgive me.

I nodded again, my suddenly clammy hands twisting the blanket in my lap. Riley waited for me to say something else, and while the silence stretched, my heart rate climbed. A thousand questions ran through my mind, but I didn't let them go any further than that. If I misspoke and asked something wrong, Riley could easily use it against me. I wasn't going to give him any reason to go after my family. With Will so close, there would be nothing I could do if Riley wanted to prove a point. 

When he saw I wasn't going to verbally respond, Riley sighed, exasperated. "Seriously, just calm down, will you? You're making me on edge." His leg started twitching as he came to sit in what used to be Samuel's chair.

I tried to do as I was told, letting out small breaths and focusing on soothing my mind. "Why are you here?" I eventually managed.

"Well," he shifted his weight forward, leaning towards my bed. "I wanted to see how my favorite couple is getting along."

"We're doing fine." My voice was small.

"Maybe so, but I heard there was an incident of sorts?" Riley prodded. 

Confusion swam in my expression as I fought through the memories of the hospital. At no point had I deliberately disrespected or upset Samuel. Most of my time here had been spent asleep or with my brother. For these reasons, I couldn't figure out what he was referring to, nor how he knew anything had happened. As far as I was aware, Samuel hadn't been in contact with Riley. Then again, I didn't know much. 

When Riley saw my expression, he continued, rolling his eyes dramatically. "Come on, Samantha. You thought I wouldn't hear about your so-called panic attack? Who do you think these people work for?"

I shook my head fervently, finally understanding. "I wasn't-" I started to explain, but he cut me off. 

"Don't care. I'll hear the correct story from Samuel and I don't need your excuses."

My mouth stayed hanging half open. "What do you want, then?"

"Well, firstly, let's make sure we don't have another one of those episodes. Sound good?" I nodded, and he smiled. "We need to talk about this plan with Samuel. You'll be getting out of the hospital soon and real life is going to start. Real life for Samuel means that he has responsibilities with the pack. Responsibilities that his mate is supposed to help him with. But, since you're human, it complicates things." He groaned. "You really do make life quite difficult. If you were a wolf we wouldn't have to deal with any of this."

"Sorry," I muttered, trying to keep the bitterness out of my tone. If they were human I wouldn't have to deal with any of this, either. 

Riley waved his hand, dismissively. "It's no matter. Your humanity won't be a problem for much longer."