20

It was 1912, before Corey and Stefan went to Chicago

It was 1912, before Corey and Stefan went to Chicago. One of the Salvatore's died, so the two went to the funeral to pay their respects. "I'm sorry for your loss, Mr. Salvatore and Mr. Pierce. I'm told you're both distant cousins of Zachariah" A woman said, approaching the two. "His nephews, Miss-" The girl cut Stefan off. "Lockwood. Marianna Lockwood. And this is my friend, Samantha Gilbert" Another woman was now next to Marianna.

"As in Jonathan Gilbert?" Corey spoke, making the women's hearts swoon over his adorable voice. "My late grandfather, did either of you know him?" Corey let Stefan hold his hand as the vampire was having a hard time being around that many humans without ripping someone's head off.

"Crossed paths. I'm sorry, I don't mean to be inappropriate, but no one seems to be willing to discuss the details of Zachariah's death" Stefan spoke, trying to stay formal. "He was murdered, and he wasn't the first" Samantha blurted out, making Marianna scold her. "Samantha, don't be a gossip".

"Why not? They should know. They're both apart of founding families like us. Be careful Mr. Salvatore, Mr. Pierce, It's not a good time to be a Founder in this town" Marianna dragged Samantha off, bidding their goodbyes on the way. Corey noticed the fake headstone they made for his mother, one to pretend like she was human instead of a vampire.

Stefan noticed a crow flying and then resting on the stone. They both turned around to find the eldest Salvatore, Damon Salvatore, standing right before them. "Have you been eating the relatives again?" Damon's humor not seeping into these words. "Damon" The raven haired vampire sent a small smile towards Corey.

"It's been a long time, brother, Corey"' Damon acknowledged. "It's been almost fifty years. I'm surprised you came" Stefan admitted. "And miss the funeral of, what do you call him? Uncle Zachariah?" Anger was present in his tone. "I see you're still mad at me".

"Why would I be mad at you, Stefan? You made me become a vampire and now I walk the world alone, drinking other people's blood" Damon mused. "Any chance you took it all out on our nephew, Zachariah?" Stefan asked. "If I'm not mistaken, you were the one who killed our family, remember? May father Rest In Peace" Damon teased, anger fueling him.

"Damon, Stefan had changed" Corey spoke up, trying to keep the sibling quarrel as quiet as possible. "Well congratulations, Stefan" Damon looked straight into his brother's eyes. "But if you'll excuse me, I'd like to live out my eternal existence as far away from you as possible. Corey can come and visit, or even join me whenever he would like to" As Damon started to leave, Stefan stopped him.

"Wait, Damon. How about we all grab a drink? I missed my brother" Damon thought about it, realizing he could convince Corey to come with him and live a better life where he wasn't force to watch Stefan spiral down, hurting himself in the process. "Sure".

***

The three were walking towards a tent later in the evening, Stefan grabbed the bottle from Damon's hands. "Damon, you've had enough" Damon frowned, looking at the bottle. "Hit a man when he's down" The three entered the tent where a boxing match was happening. The woman, Sage, had just knocked out another man. "Who's next? One hundred dollars to any man who can beat me" She winked at Damon, who blushed awkwardly, not use to woman attention besides Katherine.

" I can teach you how to survive without human blood, you know" Stefan told his brother, a glimmer of hope in his eyes, mirroring Corey's. "Not interested".

***

A while later, Sage had managed to change Damon in an instant. Corey had been socializing when he smelt blood. He ran over to find Damon encouraging Stefan to drink human blood, the ripper side of him had accidentally torn off the woman's head. "Oh my god" Both Salvatore's heads whipped towards Corey. "What did you make him do" Corey whispered, still in shock.

"Corey" Stefan whimpered, realizing he was going to become a ripper again. Corey ran over, helping Stefan leave, not before glaring at Damon. "It's okay Stefan".