8. Training

Zoe

I hung around the archery range, firing arrows at the targets that Percy had set up using his new powers from the Primordial's. All of my arrows hit the dead centre. I quickly became bored and moved over to the targets, pulling the arrows out and dropping them in a basket containing the other used arrows. I pulled my bow back over my shoulder and shrugged my cloak back on just as Percy appeared suddenly in front of me.

To my credit, I didn't scream and jump back. I stared at him calmly and I noticed that he was holding his scythe in his hand, as well as a rip in his jeans that looked as if a knife had cut through it. My eyebrows rose in astonishment. "One of the campers actually managed to injure you? I'm impressed." 

Percy snorted as his scythe disappeared from his hand. "Annabeth did that. But the fight her, Frank and Jason put up was honestly pathetic. I can't believe I once fought beside these people." I patted him on the shoulder. "It's okay, we expected that to happen. I hope the Gods put up more of a fight when we storm Olympus. Also, did you kill Hazel and Piper?" 

Percy nodded, a small smile forming on his face. "Yes. Watching them die was simply amazing. What makes it even better is that Jason was there when Piper died in his arms." 

He started to walk, and I hurried to keep up with him. We walked past the soldiers training, and Percy stopped to watch a sword fight between Ethan and another guy named Aaron, who was a son of the titan Hyperion. They were exchanging blows quite quickly, and neither of them were able to land a hit on the other. I honestly wished I was better with a sword. I grew up learning how to fight with hunting knives and to shoot a bow. 

Aaron stabbed at Ethan, and I could tell he was tiring. Ethan noticed that as well and he battled Aaron's sword away before kicking his legs, sending Aaron to the ground where Ethan was quick to place his sword at his throat. "Ha! I win!" Ethan said triumphantly. Aaron rolled his eyes and pushed Ethan's hand away before sitting up. 

"Have a go at it again after a short break." Percy mused as Aaron retrieved his sword. "Try putting your defence up as much as possible, and also practice your endurance so you won't tire as easily." "Yes Commander." Aaron said with a grin as he turned back to Ethan with his sword clutched firmly in his hand. "Hey Ethan! I want a rematch!" 

Percy walked off again as Ethan and Aaron shifted into their defensive positions. I stayed by his side and we wandered around, observing the training of the other soldiers. I saw Marissa viciously slashing and hacking at practice dummies Percy had set up with a black spear. Percy and I ended up in a small clearing a distance away from all the others. 

He shrugged off his cloak and threw it carelessly to the side before turning and facing me once more. His green eyes were unreadable as he stared emotionlessly at me. I felt small and uncomfortable under his gaze. "Well Zoe, we're going to have a spar." Percy said finally after a tense moment of silence. 

My eyes widened. I honestly did not want to go against him. Back then, when Percy was fighting for the Gods, I already knew I wouldn't be able to beat him when I saw his swordsmanship. Now, he has been blessed by the Primordial's, so I knew I wouldn't be able to beat him for sure. 

Percy said my expression and he chuckled softly. "It's okay Zoe, I won't hurt you as much as I can help it. I just want to help you improve." I exhaled before I took off my own cloak and threw it on top of Percy's. My hands went to my waist where my hunting knives were sheathed. Percy put his hand into his pocket and uncapped his pen, Riptide spiralling into life. 

I pulled out my hunting knives and crouched into a defensive stance, one foot slightly behind the other. My heart was thudding loudly against my ribs. Percy copied my stance and held Riptide out, pointing the tip slightly towards the floor. His eyes flickered up and met mine before his lips curved in a smile. 

I took that as the cue to start the fight. I edged slowly towards him, tightening my grip on my hunting knives. Percy moved over, his eyes never leaving me. I tensed, and Percy's eyes narrowed as he saw the muscles in my legs tighten. I darted at him, moving swiftly and silently like Artemis had taught me. 

My arm raised, my knife slashing at his side. Percy blocked the hit, and the force of his blade slamming against my knife was enough to send me staggering. He swung at me, and I raised both arms to block the hit. But Percy was relentless, raining down powerful blows on me that I struggle to block. I was tiring, and my arms were straining to keep blocking Percy's sword strikes. I had to get away and go on offence. 

Percy seemed to know what I was planning as he laughed, his eyes sparkling. I gritted my teeth and kicked him in the chest, pushing him back just enough for me to slip out and dart away to catch my breath for a moment. Percy's eyes narrowed once more, before he grinned. "Sneaky, aren't you?" 

I was too tired to respond, and to my dismay Percy lunged at me again. He was moving so fast he was like a black blur. I remembered when he fought Artemis, and how the two of them were no more than silver and black blurs. I slashed wildly with both of my hunting knives, but Percy dodged and his blade was coming at my throat. I knew he wouldn't hurt me, so I lunged to the floor, Percy's blade stabbing over my head where I stood seconds ago. 

I stamped hard on his foot and managed to gash his arm, drawing blood. Percy vaulted away, wincing. He looked at the wound on his arm and smirked. "Hm, I must say you've improved ever since you were with Artemis all those years ago." I rolled my eyes at the mention of my old mistress. Artemis was weak, and I knew I wasn't going to reach my full potential by remaining at her side. 

Percy didn't wait for me to respond and he leaped at me, his sword raised above his head. I raised my knives, but Percy threw his body to the side so that he landed next to me. I spun to strike at him, but Percy hit my hand with the flat of his blade so that my knives fell out of my hand. He then used his blade to sweep me off of my feet and I landed hard on my back. He put his foot on my chest and smiled at me. 

"Well Zoe, you're a great fighter. One day, I'm sure you would be able to beat me in a fight if you train." I sighed and held my hand up to him. He put away his sword and grabbed my hand, pulling me to my feet. I was breathing hard, but Percy didn't seem tired at all. He touched the wound on his arm and I watched as he effortlessly healed it. 

I went to retrieve my knives and when I got back, Percy was holding my cloak up for me. "Thanks." I said, grabbing it and draping it over my shoulder. He examined me before saying "Before we launch an attack on Camp Jupiter, I want to help you improve your fighting. I'm not saying you aren't good, I just want to help you reach your full potential." 

I smiled at him before his words registered. "Wait, we're attacking Camp Jupiter? The whole camp? No surprise attack?" "Not really. I'm not focusing on killing anyone in particular like I did with Piper and Hazel. I just want to get them out the way, and we both know the Romans are more organized than the Greeks." Percy explained. "But before we do that, the soldiers need more training, and I want to help you as well." 

I nodded slowly. I've been to Camp Jupiter many times with Artemis, no, Diana, and I saw how organized and battle ready the Romans are compared to the Greeks. If we're going to attack them, we would need more training like Percy said. 

"Okay. Teach me all you got." I said, grinning. Percy laughed and obliged, telling me how I could easily get under someone's guard, and how I could disarm my opponents quite quickly. 

Camp Jupiter better put up a good fight. 

Word Count: 1498

It's Saturday, yay. This week has been so boring that I felt I got off March Break a month ago but in reality it's only been a week. On the bright side, I get to relax and play video games :) 

as you can see i'm really productive.