Icy Opinions

A Week Later

"Just hold it there."

"Alright..."

"Up a little. Now twist it to the right. Ah! There."

"Okay, Sherlock." Adelaide answered as she held a severed tongue with a set of tongs for him. Sherlock arranged her safety goggles and pulled her hair further back before grabbing his blowtorch again.

He saw her expression and paused, "Are you sure you want to help me, Darling?"

She nodded intently, "Yes, Sherlock!"

"Very well." He ignited the blowtorch and was impressed at how calm she was when the flame spewed out at the tongue she was holding for him. He held the fire to the disembodied body part for a good minute, moving the incendiary device around to cover the entire thing.

When he was finished he clicked off the blowtorch and immediately reclaimed the now charred muscle. Adelaide took off her goggles and shook out her golden ponytail, "So... why exactly did you burn that?"

"I believe that the victim in my current case was killed when he accepted a shot of alcohol that had been lit on fire. The fire was so hot it burned his esophagus and trachea both, thus causing him to asphyxiate."

"So they were murdered?"

Sherlock nodded, "Indeed. The waitress is responsible. Hand my my phone please."

"Oh! Sure!" Adelaide retrieved the mobile from his blazer pocket and placed it in his hand, "There you go, Sherlock."

"Thank you, Adelaide. That's all I needed your help for." He smiled at her and then shot off a text to Lestrade.

After cleaning up they retired to the living room and Sherlock brought out his violin. Adelaide curled up in his chair and pulled out her new book on turtles and tortoises. It was amusing to him because it had so many illustrations. She actually spent more time analyzing them than reading the text. As Sherlock played and walked around the room, he would glance down at her current page and watch her trace the diagrams.

Every so often her glasses would slip down her nose and she'd have to push them back up. Each time it happened be would chuckle because of the slight annoyance that would show on her features.

About forty five minutes later they heard someone come through the front door and start ascending the stairs. Adelaide looked up, "Would you like me to-"

"No, it's just Mycroft."

"Oh." Sherlock set his violin away as Mycroft opened the door and walked in.

"Mycroft."

"Sherlock," The elder brother's eyes narrowed at the younger's girlfriend, "Miss Cavanagh."

"H-Hello, Mycroft."

"What do you want now?" Sherlock

"I wanted to determine whether or not I could expect you to return to your senses. Obviously I shouldn't expect that anytime soon since you're still fawning over each other."

"Mycroft, Adelaide is my girlfriend. Not a passing fancy."

"I know. And that's why I'm... concerned."

"Concerned about what?" Adelaide piped up.

"About how your boyfriend  will handle losing you. He's never handled loss well and I doubt that could change so quickly."

"Simple, Mycroft. I won't lose her." Sherlock cut in, aiming a hard glower at his brother.

"Won't you?"

"I won't,  Mycroft."

Adelaide glanced back and forth between the two. Their battle of glaring at each other had cast a coldness into the flat and she felt it, but she couldn't figure out how to combat it without making things worse between her and her boyfriend's brother. So she froze in the chair and remained as silent as they were.

Finally Mycroft cleared his throat, "I suppose that it is a good thing that your relationship has survived nearly five months. Nearly half a year and I've never seen Sherlock so sentimental and vulnerable."

"Mycroft, do remember that I chose to date her. It is my decision. Your  opinions about our relationship and my  sentiment frankly does not matter to me. And yes, Adelaide and I are quite lucky to have come so far as a couple in nearly five months." Silence fell again.

"Well then, brother mine, I'd best be off for a classified meeting. Have fun with your romantic disadvantage."

"Have fun with the diet, brother mine," Sherlock retorted as Mycroft left, swinging his umbrella. Once the cabinet member was gone Sherlock turned towards Adelaide, "I must apologize. I'm afraid he'll resist coming 'round until Mummy forces him too."

"It's alright, Sherlock-"

"No, it's not. Mocking me is one thing but mocking you and our relationship is another."

Adelaide stood up and padded over to him, "He's only worried for you, Sherlock. Maybe not handling it in the best way-"

"And he isn't-"

"-But he does worry about you, Sherlock. A little more patience, alright? We'll bring him around eventually, Sweetie."

"How do you know?" She shrugged her shoulders.

"Because. I just do."

Sorry for making you guys wait for so long!! Thank you for reading!!