The Video Call

Two Days Later   

Sherlock had just finished his cookies when his mobile started buzzing. He picked it up and found that it was a video chat from Adelaide. Before answering he quickly shut off his laptop so that she would not accidentally see the sites he had been using to research engagement rings. Then he accepted the call and Adelaide's smiling face popped onto the screen, "Hey, Darling!!"

He smiled. I didn't think she would have time today to call me, "Hello, Love. I thought you would had a busy day planned?"

"Yeah, I know. We had to change our plans. Tara got stung quite a few times by black wasps when we were out earlier and so we're back at the hotel so she can recover, so I decided to call you." 

"Are you okay too?"

She nodded, "Yeah, I'm fine. The wasps didn't get to me. I did get bitten by a giant water bug yesterday though and that hurt."

"You didn't tell me that, Adelaide."

She shrugged with a sheepish smile, "Ehe, sorry? I didn't want you to worry since the water bug bites aren't fatal. I'm feeling fine now though."

Sherlock sighed, "And still no sunburn?"

"Nope! Tara and I have kept each other on track with sunblock,"  She replied, "Other than the bug encounters, our trip has been wonderful thus far. But I'll be happy to come home in a few days."

"I am glad that you are enjoying Costa Rica, but I cannot wait to have you back, Love." I must find the ring before she returns.

She giggled, "Miss me, Sweetie?"

"Naturally."

"Aww, I miss you too, Honey."      

"I should hope so."

She chuckled and then sighed, "So, any cases while I've been gone?"

"Plenty to keep me occupied. Nothing really interesting however. The criminal classes are on holiday too it seems." 

They chatted for a while longer and she caught him up on her trip before she had to go. Once the call ended Sherlock flipped open his laptop again and reopened the sites he had been on.

His plan was to propose once Adelaide had gotten back and recuperated from her week of tropical fun. Of course he still needed to purchase an engagement ring and come up with exactly how he wanted to propose to her. He knew that it would not be a big, public spectacle, but he wanted it to be unique to them as a couple and also be romantic.

Missus Hudson walked in with a tray of tea, "Yoo-hoo!"

"Hello, Hudders."

She brought him a cuppa, "Still looking at engagement rings, Sherlock?"

"Mm."

"Have you gone out and actually looked at them?"

"I have to get a general idea of what would best suit Adelaide's tastes first, Missus Hudson."

"Well do you know what she likes?"

"She prefers silver to gold. She showed me her jewelry box once when she was getting ready for a date. She has a variety of unique pieces too, but most of what she wears are drop earrings, not rings."

"Then maybe look at different styles?"

"That's what I am doing."

"Oh. Then what have you seen so far?"

He listed off a few different styles and then she hummed, "What about something vintage? You're looking at modern styles but maybe she'd like something like that?" Sherlock nodded and considered her advice.

"Thank you for your input, Hudders."

"Oh, no need, Dearie! I just hope you find the perfect one soon."

"So do I."

He altered his search parameters and started perusing some of the lesser known styles. These led him to more vintage styles, and soon he was intrigued by a particular style of Art-Deco rings. And the designs that he found weren't garish despite being ornate and unique.

The next morning the Watsons were having a calm breakfast together when there was a knock at the door. John got up to see who it was and found Sherlock on the front stoop, looking as energetic as ever, "What are you doing here so early, Sherlock?"

"It is fortunate that today is both yours and Mary's day off. I need the both of you to  assist me."

A sleepy Mary walked out of the kitchen with Rosie, "Assist with what now, Sherlock?"

John grinned and chuckled, "He wants us to help him choose an engagement ring for Adelaide. Is that it, mate?"

"Yes. I only have a couple more days before Adelaide returns from Costa Rica and I want to have the ring ready before then."

"Alright, we'll be ready in a minute, Sherlock!" Mary replied and darted back inside to change. John let Sherlock in to wait and then followed. This should be a fun day. 

Thank you for reading!!!