Discharged

January 6

Adelaide gaped, "What?"

"You are being discharged. Your condition is stable and there is no reason for you to stay here longer than necessary. You are more vulnerable here as well," Sherlock explained, "Unfortunately your flat is still being cleaned up and redone. I am also having a security system installed for your protection. Until your flat is safe and habitable, I must recommend that-"

"That I stay with you and Missus Hudson?"

He paused and blinked, "Yes. How did you-"

"Because that was the plan before, you know, Moriarty paid me his little visit," She answered while sitting up a bit to rearrange her cushion. Sherlock dashed over and snatched it up, re-fluffing it and then arranging it again, "Thank you, Sherlock."

"No problem, Love. Although I must disagree with how you've reduced the significance of what happened down to a simple visit,  let alone a little one."

"It was sarcasm, Sweetheart," She reassured and then inhaled, "So I'm being discharged two days early?"

"Yes. As I said, your condition has improved to the point that you no longer require hospital treatment. Of course you will have regular check ups until you're fully recovered but John and Mary will help monitor and keep you on track."

Adelaide nodded, "Alright then. Well, I'm certainly glad to be getting out of here."

Sherlock smiled, "As am I, Adelaide. And this time I promise that Moriarty will not touch you." This earned a soft smile from her as the doctor entered to officially deliver the news. Sherlock managed to secretly send Mycroft a text, somewhat thanking him for pulling strings to get Adelaide released. The elder Holmes simply replied that it was only because he didn't want to worry about procuring another birthday gift for his brother for at least another few years.

Once Adelaide had cleaned up a bit and got changed, one of the nurses took her out on a wheelchair. Sherlock then escorted her to a taxi. He kept his arm around her waist or held her hand in his- never breaking the physical contact. Adelaide didn't mind and found it rather sweet of him. She clasped her hand around his and gave it a squeeze. Just to assure him.

They finally got to Baker Street and Missus Hudson met them in the foyer. The two ladies chatted a bit before Sherlock whisked Adelaide upstairs. He had her sit in his chair before heading to the kitchen to make them both a cuppa.

"Sherlock?"

"Yes, Love?"

"Since I'm well enough, I plan to return to work tomorrow."

He dropped the luckily empty tea kettle onto the stove, "What?!"

"At least to catch up on paperwork. I know I have plenty waiting for me."

He turned around once the tea was on and caught her gaze, "You're only just back from the hospital. And under doctor's orders, you're to avoid overdoing things and focus on full recovery. Getting distressed with make up work will not improve your condition."

"Sherlock, I need the mental exercise! I haven't done much of anything in days! It's not like I'd be doing field work!" She whined, "They won't let me do anything like that until I've recovered. So I might as well be useful in the office."

They exchanged a few looks and then he replied, "Give yourself two days. Until then, you can assist me on cases so that your mind is being stimulated."

She considered it and then nodded with a smile, "Alright. Deal."

"Excellent." He turned back around to mind the tea. A few minutes later she spoke up again.

"I have a feeling that there's more to my being discharged than you're telling me."

He managed not to jolt and bump the kettle or tea cups, "What more is there? You were well enough to leave so they let you go. Simple as that."

"I don't know. But you seem much happier then I expected you to be," Adelaide hummed. Sherlock let the conversation drop after that until he finished with the tea. He carried a cuppa over to her and she accepted it with a smile, "Ta." He smiled back and then sat in John's chair to have his own cuppa.

Later they shifted around to where Adelaide had curled up in his lap, resting against Sherlock's chest, while he cradled her form against his. As they cuddled in his chair they turned on the news and caught up with some of what had been going on. Sherlock did not pay all that much attention to it however. He was focused on keeping her comfortable- avoiding her healing injuries and maintaining her warmth. Every once in a while he would peck a kiss on her forehead or cheek. Chaste and light. But enough for her to smile and cuddle up more, threading her arms around his torso and hugging him gently.

Around eight she decided to turn in and carefully stood to head upstairs. Sherlock made sure that she had a bottle of chilled water to take with her, and then saw her to the stairwell. She stopped about two steps up and turned around to face him with a cheeky grin, "It's your birthday, isn't it?"

He blanched. How did she figure that out!

Adelaide chuckled and leaned down, planting a kiss on his lips, "Happy Birthday, Darling."

"How did you know, Love?"

She shrugged, "Because you hadn't told me before when your birthday was and it seemed to all fit."

He smirked, "Very little slips past you." Adelaide giggled and reached down for one last hug.

"Good Night,  Sherlock."

"Good Night, Adelaide. Rest well." He kissed her good night and then she hurried up to John's old bedroom. Once he was certain she was up there he went back to the living room and flopped down on the couch. He arched his hands under his chin and sighed. She's safe now.

Thank you for reading!! Love you all and welcome to my new readers!! 😘