Assurance

A Week Later 

Sherlock unlocked Adelaide's door and entered, quickly locking it behind him as he strode into the living room. He had been at Scotland Yard when Adelaide had texted him. Apparently Carlyle's family had finally caught wind of his detainment and had started peppering Adelaide and her family with questions and demands. She got the worst of it- since the Willoughbys had known that Carlyle had gone to London to track her down and talk her into a relationship.

"Adelaide?" He called when he didn't see her in the living room or kitchenette.

"I-I'll be right out, Sherlock!" She answered from her bedroom. He waited a minute and she exited the bedroom, tying up her now below shoulder length waves. He frowned as he looked her over. She looks too exhausted and anxious for her own good.

He walked over to her and after a quick greeting kiss held her forearms, "Adelaide, you did not rest last night. How long have the Willoughbys been contacting you?"

She sighed, "Since ten last night. I did try to sleep but I didn't want to agitate them by not answering in a timely manner... The entire family is enraged."

He noted this and then her mobile went off again. She dug it out of her pocket and he swiped it away, "They should not be contacting you. Gerald has all the information they need. You  should not be the one fielding their enquiries."

"I know, I know..."

"I can have Mycroft block their numbers. At least then you should get some peace from the situation."

She shook her head, "No."

"No? Adelaide, they are disturbing you and causing you severe stress that you shouldn't have. Blocking them would prevent all those messages."

"Sherlock, I know these people! Blocking their numbers won't help! They'll just figure out where I live and harass me in person! The Willoughbys are already coming to London for his arraignment hearing and I don't want to have to deal with them in person!"

He knew that debating any further would take them into an argument that could spark an actual fight. She was tired, stressed, and in that state she was easily agitated. He didn't want to fight with her so he took a breath and recentered, "A compromise then?"

She exhaled, "And what would that be?"

"Turn on your mobile's do not disturb feature at night, and the driving mode during the day. That will prevent them from bothering you too much."

She stared for a moment and then threw her hands up, "Why didn't I think of that!?"

"Because you are stressed and tired, Love. You aren't thinking as clearly as you normally do. You need to take a deep breath and relax." He pressed a kiss to her forehead.

Adelaide crossed her arms and sighed, "I want to, but I just can't calm down enough. I'm too paranoid that Carlyle or his family will come out of nowhere!"

Sherlock thought for a moment and then dared to ask, "Would it help we cuddled, Adelaide? You always respond well to it. It might do the trick."

"... You don't have another case to solve?"

He shook his head, "No. The criminal classes have been quite dormant the past few days and I don't fancy returning to the Yard today."

Adelaide considered his offer and finally nodded, "Alright..."

He ignored the victory bells that went off in his mind palace when she agreed and led her over to the futon. After a bit of semi-awkwardness, he reclined against the back of the futon and she laid across it, leaving only her upper body in his lap. She turned on the telly for some background noise and cuddled in towards him. He supported her head on one arm and stroked her arm with his free one, "Better, Love?"

She hummed, "Yes..."

Eventually after a while, with the gentle motions up and down her arms and him just speaking softly to her, Adelaide dozed off. Sherlock didn't notice for a few minutes but once he did he smiled, "Sleep well, Angel."

He made sure not to disturb her, even taking her mobile and setting it to silent to assure that she got as good of a nap she could manage. Then he sat back and let his thoughts drift around his mind palace.

At some point she stirred and he emerged from the palace when he felt her shift in his arms. She didn't wake up, just rolled closer to him and grasped loosely at his coat. Sherlock gazed at her with a loving smile.

And then he sighed. I truly do want to share more of these peaceful moments with her. Perhaps... Perhaps it is time I started seriously considering it.

Thank you for reading!! Love y'all!! 😘