Contemplating

Two Weeks Later  

"Still thinking about it, Sherlock?" John asked. He could see it written in his best friend's features that the detective was deep in thought about one thing.

Marriage.

The brunette had been contemplating it for at least a month. He had also been asking more questions about it, which was what alerted John to his continuing interest in it. The army doctor was certain that the detective was actually serious about it, rather than curious.

Sherlock didn't open his eyes or move his hands from under his chin, "Am I still thinking about what, John?"

John gave him a look, "Marrying Adelaide?"  Sherlock opened his eyes and looked at his blogger.

"Yes. I am still thinking about it."

"And..?"

"And what, John? I am thinking about marrying Adelaide."

John sighed, "Sherlock, it looks like you've got hung up on something. What are you trying to pick apart in that mind of yours?"

"I am simply trying to understand the nuances of engagement and marriage. Certain traditions are... comprehensible  to me. The proposal, the use of symbolism by using rings, and being wedded with witnesses and an by a legal officiant for example..."

Somehow John understood that of everything associated with the process of marriage, those would have been the ones that made sense to Sherlock. He nodded slowly and then hummed, "But there are other things that don't make sense to you?"

"Yes. Some because I am a man of science and logic, rather than sentimental."

"Like..?"

"The length of engagement and then the wedding itself are two of them. Another is the tradition of asking relatives and friends for their blessing on the marriage. Ultimately it would be the couple's decision to wed after all."

John decided to tackle the last one first, "Asking for a relative's blessing is... Usually asking for their approval and support regarding your relationship. It is usually seen as a sign of respect, especially to the people who've known the significant other for all or most of their life. It's still your decision though. I didn't go to anyone about Mary but our case was different than Adelaide."

Sherlock absorbed his explanation and then nodded, "That does seem more logical than it did before."

John continued, "The length of engagement is up to the couple. It can depend on a number of factors how long it lasts. Usually it's as long as it takes to prepare for your wedding and marriage. And concerning weddings, you don't have to go all out with a big, flashy ceremony. You can do a small ceremony or none at all. And it all would be up to you and Adelaide, Sherlock. You can ask for as much advice and help as you want but those decisions are for you as a couple to make together."

Sherlock lowered his hands and tapped on the armrests. He exhaled and then stood up. After walking to the window he spoke again, "Then there is the proposal-"

John couldn't hold back a laugh, "At least you won't have to worry about me ruining your dinner proposal plan!"

That got Sherlock to smile and chuckle as well, "I should hope so, John. Besides, she's shy. I would not put her in such a public setting," And then he sighed, "However I still haven't had that spark, or whatever you have that seals the decision to propose marriage. And you never told me what yours was."

John knew that that was coming. He stood up and walked over his friend, "It will come when you least expect it, Sherlock. But it'll hit you like a train when it does. Something will happen and it will probably be unremarkable but you'll just know.  It'll come, mate."

"I'm a sociopath. How would I even realize it in the first place?"

"You realized your love for Adelaide, right? There's no way that you'll miss it. Little can escape your notice, after all."

"I suppose that's true, John."

The army doctor sighed a bit, "So? Has that helped you any, mate?"

It took a moment but the detective nodded, "Yes it has. Thank you."

"No problem, Sherlock."

It's a little short but I hope you enjoyed it! Thank you for reading!