The Flower Farce

"Should I come back later?"

The couple turned and found they were no longer alone. They now had a visitor- a lean man no taller than Lestrade, with a golden tan, short ash blonde hair and hazel eyes. He held a vase of fresh flowers, mainly bright yellow and cream, and looked utterly stunned. Sherlock deduced that he was at least a colleague of Adelaide's, given the flowers.

Adelaide blushed pink and then spoke, "H-hey, Kendall, I didn't think you would visit."

"I wanted to come see for myself how you were doing. That bite was no small incident and that's all I've been hearing about at the Centre," Kendall replied and held up the vase, "I got some flowers for you. To add some color to this white box of a room and cheer you up a bit."

He walked over and handed them to her. She accepted them with a smile and admired them for a second before placing them on the bedside stand, "Thank you, Kendall."

"No need, Adelaide," He smiled lightly and then eyed Sherlock, who had already begun to size him up, "And who is this?"

"Kendall, this is my fiancé Sherlock Holmes. Sherlock, this is Kendall Underwood-"

"Your colleague and former boyfriend," Sherlock finished for her, "The Australian Rodentologist."

"How did you know-?"

"Easy. One, you brought a variety of flowers that are not typical fare for a generic get well bouquet- you chose more exotic blooms to attract Adelaide's eye and try to gain back her favor. Two, you are Australian and Adelaide informed me as to her prior relationship with an Australian scientist. Three, you have scars on your hands that indicate bites from mammals with characteristic large front teeth, I.E. rodents," Sherlock listed off with an air of slight frustration, "I am a Consulting Detective. I deduced these things immediately."

"So, you're the hat detective from London? The real Sherlock Holmes?" Sherlock nodded once, hopping off the gurney and straightening his blazer before standing perfectly erect. Kendall blinked a couple times and then looked from the detective to the zoologist, "How'd you manage that, Adelaide? Snagging a world famous detective?"

Sherlock winced, not agreeing with his phrasing. Adelaide replied, "Well I wouldn't say that I snagged him, Kendall-"

"Rather, it's the other way around." Sherlock inserted. Adelaide gave him a look that earned him against telling her ex boyfriend any more about their relationship. The detective knew he should leave it there but he didn't want to. All because of one thing.

The Flowers.

Sherlock knew it was petty to get hung up over the small vase of admittedly very pretty flowers. Even so, he couldn't help his animosity towards them. From the beginning of his and Adelaide's relationship he had employed flowers as a way to communicate his affections and love to her. It was his thing. Not Kendall's.

Adelaide reached and clasped his hand, noticing that Sherlock was bristling. Then she turned to her ex and sighed, "Kendall, thank you for the flowers and for coming to check on me. But I think that you should be heading back to work."

The Australian looked ready to disagree with her but instead nodded twice, finally returning his gaze to Adelaide, "Yes, I should be getting back. You take care and recover quickly then, Adelaide."

"I will," Sherlock did his best not to pounce when Kendall leaned over and gave her a light hug and a friendly kiss on the cheek before bidding a brief farewell and walking out, leaving the detective with a cold glower. Adelaide breathed out and then pulled Sherlock closer, "Darling..."

"He did that just to mock me, Adelaide. He's not quite given up on regaining your favour," He spat, "He came hoping to use the fact that I was supposed to be across the world from you, unable to help you myself, in order to restore your trust in him. Everything from the way he walked in and spoke to you to those flowers.l!"

"The flowers?! They're just flowers-"

"Are mine the same then? Are my flowers just flowers too?"

Adelaide caught on and pulled him down onto the gurney beside her, cupping his face, "Sherlock, the flowers you send me are more than that because they're your way of expressing your affection instead of trying to win mine over. They're meaningful and I've always loved them," She pecked him on the lips, "Kendall only wanted to try and win me back over to him. Those flowers are pretty but I don't appreciate why they were gifted to me. So they're just get well flowers from a colleague in my eyes. Capiche?"

Sherlock nodded slowly and relaxed his stiff frame, "Capiche."

"Good," She stroked his face and then brought him in for a long kiss. He wrapped his arms around her torso and leaned closer, reciprocating the kiss. When they split she giggled, "I can't believe you were getting jealous because of the flowers."

"You said it yourself, flowers have always been one of the ways I have been able to communicate to you my love and affections. I don't like when I'm being copied, especially when it's by your ex boyfriend," They both chuckled and the tension in the room dissipated, "Now, I believe he interrupted us."

"Right, where were we?"

I'm sorry it took so long to update but here you go! Love y'all!! 😘