Valentine [A]

Valentine's Day

I hum along to the music playing over my Bluetooth speaker and move a few strands of hair out of my eyes as I decorate the freshly cooled sugar cookies. While a few of them are hearts, given the holiday, most of them are animal shapes since I'm going to be bringing these to work later and there will be people who don't appreciate the candy hearts and balloons. Either way, I concentrate to try and do as neat a job I can on them. My piping skills are excellent. My actual execution of the designs..?

Nan would smack my hands and ban me from the kitchen if she saw how mediocre these are.

The thought makes me chuckle. Nan owns her own bakery in the English countryside, where I grew up. She's a marvellous pastry chef and that's where I got my love for baking, even if I can't hold a candle to her skills. Good thing I didn't tell her I was making these or I'd have to show her how bad these are compared to hers. Hehe.

There's knocking at the door. A very familiar pattern. I smile and call, "Come in, Sherlock!!"

The front door opens and closes. In seconds Sherlock enters the kitchenette. He comes over and I put down my piping bag, tilting my chin up to meet his lips. After a quick kiss he chuckles, "Hard at work, Lovey?"

"Of course. We're having a small party later at work and since I was coming in later I decided I would bake sugar cookies," I look over them and sigh, "Unfortunately my presentation and decorating skills are a far cry from decent."

Sherlock stared at me for a moment before picking up a butterfly shaped cookie with black and blue royal icing. He holds it between his fingers, eyeing it. I sigh again, "It's not much but no one seems to care at the quality of the look versus the taste. My Nan would be all over these and they'd look absolutely stunning." I look at the cookies that I still have to finish as a sudden wave of inadequacy floods my system.

"I do not see why you would say your skills are less than decent. You have a very fine eye for detail, incredible nimbleness and fine motor skills, and you are spot on with your decorating. They may not be professional quality but for an amateur, you should be proud," He states and sets it back down, "I must say that I am perturbed that given the holiday you are not making one hundred pink, white and red heart cookies altogether. This is quite a variety."

I blush heavily and stammer, "W-Well, n-n-not everyone likes Valentine's day and I didn't want them to feel like they had to eat the hearts. They can celebrate their love for the animals they work with instead. Butterflies, birds-"

"Your work on the lizard cookies is quite excellent. And I applaud your awareness for other's interpretation of the holiday," I flush even redder and he smiles cheekily, "Though none of these are as eye catching to me as you are, Angel."

"R-Really?"

He leans down and pecks me on the lips, "Of course. I don't see beauty like others do. I'm practically oblivious to it. But you are, as you always have been, the exception and you are beautiful."

I try to throw off the awkwardness in me and smile, "Y-You know, you're being quite a romantic,  Sherlock."

"It would be illogical to not tell you the truth. I should not be limited to such an expression of my love for you on a single day out of three hundred and sixty five. And I am a man of logic, am I not?"

I giggle, "Yes, you are."

"Then you should believe me when I tell you that you should take pride in your cookie creations and that you're beautiful, Lovey."

"Aww.. Thank you, Sherlock." I lean up and press a kiss against his lips, hugging him tightly. He hugs me back and deepens the kiss, despite my glasses. I've never been quite sure how he maneuvers around them so well with how he likes to kiss me until my legs turn to jelly.

When we pull away he steps back a bit, "However, I do want to somewhat participate in this holiday with you. You love holidays. They make you happy. And since this one in particular is for romance  and love,  I did get you something."

I deadpan. He's been saying for nearly a month that he didn't plan on celebrating Valentine's day! Of course I got him something but I didn't expect him to participate too!  Sherlock reaches into his pocket and reveals a small white box with a purple ribbon, "What..?"

"Something more permanent to commemorate our relationship," He explains, pressing it into my hands, "Go on. Open it, Love."

I tentatively open it and my jaw drops. It's a gorgeous silver necklace with a polished silver heart locket, engraved with a flowering vine and studded with a few tiny micropave diamonds, "Oh Sherlock... It's beautiful..!"

"Look inside," I do so and find a picture of me and Sherlock, "Is it to your liking, Angel?"

I nod and embrace him tightly, "Thank you, Sherlock! It's wonderful!"

"You're welcome, Love." He chuckles and tucks my head under his chin as we hug. When we're done he gently clips the necklace around my neck and arranges it with a soft kiss to the back of my neck. I blush and them hurry to get him his own gift- a mini swiss-army knife with his initials on it. I meant to get it for him as a belated birthday present and it became his unconventional Valentine's gift.

He smiles and accepts it with a cheery air, "This isn't usually a Valentine's gift, but thank you, Adelaide. I will use it with discretion." I chuckle and so does he as we move in and kiss.

Then I remember the cookies on the counter. And the batch I had in the oven.

Thank you for reading!! Hope you enjoyed this chapter!! Please comment and vote, I love when I get feedback and even constructive criticism!! I want to make sure that you love the story and the characters as much as I do!

P.S.: Please stay safe in the summer heat!! I had a friend get sick from heat exhaustion and I ended up getting a really bad reaction from sun exposure (Basically a sun allergy that I didn't know I had before). Stay hydrated and use protection from the sun! Worth it!