Cookie Crumbles

Two Weeks Later

"Uh-uh! No, Sherlock, you're not putting it in there!"

"It would be a practical experiment-"

"Ah-Ah! If you want to put a disembodied eye in cookie dough then make your own batter in a different mixer, Sherlock," She snatched the tongs holding the visionary organ and held it away from him, "You are not  going to contaminate the cookies! How would you feel if I contaminated a crime scene or the evidence?"

"I-"

"Exactly, Sherlock." She smirked and stuck the eyeball in the fridge where it had previously been. Sherlock stood and watched her as she fixed her hair into a high ponytail and tied on her crisp blue apron. Adelaide then set to work, locating the ingredients and setting to work.

Sherlock had offered her his kitchen to use to bake Christmas Goodies since hers was out of commission for the time being. He had thought it would have been an easy way to explore her gift for baking and sneak a few of the results for himself, but she was a total kitchen boss. She'd already tossed flour at him, which was still coating his face and shirt, and now she had vetoed his experiments.

It would be more conducive to avoid interfering with her baking process. Or she might throw me out of the kitchen.

Or worse.

He opted to refrain from messing with her tasty treat-making and decided to try and help instead. So he stepped to the counter beside her and cleared his throat, "Then what can I do, Love?"

"Hmm?" She looked up at him.

"To help with the cookies?"

She smiled, "Wash your hands and then you can help, Darling," He beamed and complied. The detective paid as much attention as possible to how she added and prepared each ingredient, and was pulled from his musings about it when she scooped up a tiny bowl of chocolate chip cookie dough and placed it in his hands, "Here you go!"

"Raw cookie dough?"

"If you don't want it-"

"No! I do," He accepted the bowl and poked the spoon into the beige and brown flecked mixture. This batch was chocolate chip. He had a spoonful and deduced, "You used bittersweet chips. Dark chocolate."

"Mm-hm. The cookies already have so much sugar that using the sweet milk chocolate would be overkill. It provides a bit of richness and balance."

"Indeed." He quickly finished the cookie dough and then helped her roll the batter into small balls before putting them on a cookie sheet and then into the oven. Then they moved on to Snickerdoodles.

At some point in the baking there was a lull. Sherlock took the chance to snake his arms around her waist from behind, lowering his head to nuzzle her neck. She smells like the confections she's baking. Rich, Sweet and Warm. Adelaide giggled, "Having fun, Darling?"

"Yes, Love." He smiled as she giggled again.

Later that evening John and Mary had decided to drop by Baker Street with Rosie. They had decided to take a holiday in France and wanted to make certain that Sherlock would survive without John for a week- including Christmas. They smelled warm baked goods when they walked in and attributed it to Missus Hudson, who was baking in her kitchen and stopped to greet them and her goddaughter.

They weren't quite prepared for the scene, or smell, that greeted them in 221B. The flat had never smelled so good. The fragrance of cookies seeped into the stairwell. So they already had a clue as to why they were smelling them. Adelaide.

But to see Sherlock in his chair with a plate full of assorted cookies, halfway into a chocolate chip cookie and dusted with crumbs, was priceless. Even more so was the red blush that coloured the detective's sharp cheeks as he stopped mid bite. The Watson's grinned and John chuckled heartily, "Enjoying Christmas sweeties, Sherlock? Are they made with eyeballs or fingers?"

Adelaide came out of the kitchen and laughed, "Nope! I didn't let him get that far. But he was great at helping me bake without adding any organs." She sent them a wink and they chuckled again.

John caught Sherlock's gaze and smirked. Oh yeah. He'll be fine for a week. Adelaide's got him more than  covered.

Thank you for reading!! Sorry for the long wait!!