Train to Dorset

August 2  

Sherlock wove through the crowd of Museum guests and staff, fighting his temptation to just push through and make a dash to his intended destination. It was a Friday afternoon- a gorgeous summer one at that- and marked the day that he and Adelaide would finally catch their train into Dorset. Just one more full day until the wedding. Tomorrow we have our official rehearsal and Tara and John have planned for our respective Hen and Stag parties as well. It would not do to miss our train or have it be delayed!

The consulting detective had come to pick up his soon to be wife and whisk her back to 221B so that they could grab their bags and go. They'd had everything packed and gathered in the living room for three days. All Adelaide needed to do was change and they'd be off to the station. Not long now.  Sherlock smiled to himself as he slipped his hand into his coat pocket and found the box containing their rings- with her wedding band and engagement ring soldered firmly together and the entire wedding set freshly polished. He'd picked them up on his way there and they had kept him from running.

Adelaide was tapping her foot on the floor as she focused on the report on her desk instead of on the clock. She knew she only had a quarter hour left before she could go but it certainly seemed that time was passing at a snail's pace. She sighed and sat up to pull her golden waves, which had grown out to reach her shoulder blades, into a springy ponytail and stretch.

The Zoologist signed where she needed to and deposited the report in the courier box, then walked to the fish tank. They'd switched the brightly colored African Cichlids for a school of freshwater Angelfish. She stood there observing their behaviour for a while, chuckling when they'd swim at each other and bump noses.  When she finally turned to return to her desk to pack up, the door opened and Sherlock strode in. She smiled, "Hello, Darling."

"Hullo, Love," Sherlock replied as he shut the door and walked over. He pressed a kiss to her lips, "Aren't you ready to go, Adelaide?"

"They're not letting me leave for another five minutes. I was just about to get my things together so that I could make a quick getaway," She hurried to her desk and started packing up, "Did you pick up the rings?"

"I have them right here in my pocket, Lovey."

"Excellent!" She cheered, "And I suppose your case is all solved too?"

"Indeed. Dreadfully dull but I have no more pertinent cases pending my attention. We're all set for a week without any disturbance. The Yard will certainly enjoy my absence."

"Oh, they'll be more than happy to have your help again when we get back," They chatted until Adelaide's remaining time expired. Then Sherlock pulled her up from her seat and gently tugged her to the door, "No need to pull me, Sherlock! I'm coming!" She laughed and he chuckled as they exited her office and made their way out to catch a Cab back to Baker Street. As soon as they had everything and Adelaide was ready, they made sure to lock up the place and headed out. Mycroft sent a sedan for them of course, so they loaded their stuff into the trunk and hopped in.

"Missus Hudson, Tara and Finley have already gotten there. John, Mary and Rosie will meet us at the station. Molly and Lestrade will catch an overnight train in and arrive tomorrow morning, as will Mycroft. My parents got there earlier this week of course." Sherlock explained as he texted the others for updates.

"Mmm, I have a feeling that your parents and my grandparents are getting along splendidly. Nan called earlier and said that Violet and Mark are delightful to be around."

"Mum called and expressed similar sentiments. It is good that they are getting along."

"Mmhm."

It wasn't long before they met the Watsons on the platform and were boarding- luggage trolleys and all. They found their reserved compartment and got their suitcases up onto the racks in time to sit down as the train started moving. Mary and Adelaide took the window seats, with the former holding Rosie in her lap and pointing out things. Sherlock slipped an arm around Adelaide and continued checking in with everyone else via text while conversing with John. 

About an hour into the four hour trip the chatting had mostly died down as it was dusk and Rosie had zonked out from excitement. She was an extremely light sleeper so the adults made sure to reduce the noise as much as they could. Adelaide curled up with Sherlock and they cuddled for a while before the train lulled her to sleep. He wasn't fazed at all and made sure that she was in a comfortable position, covering her with his coat.

Mary and John simply smiled at the soon-to-be wedded couple. The army doctor whispered to her, "I wonder how long he'll stay this calm."

"Don't say that, you'll jinx it!" Mary whispered back and then giggled, "Although it should be interesting to see who will get more nervous."

"You do know that I can hear every word you're saying, correct?"

Stay tuned lovelies!! 😘☺