Mind Game

"No. You won't get her again."

Sherlock immediately texted Mycroft and John. Lestrade came up then and saw the scene, "Sherlock, what's all this, eh?"

"Moriarty. He is still around and this is but a reminder that he will not spare Adelaide. I won't let him harm her again," I came so close to losing her just months ago. We
only just got engaged. I can't allow Moriarty to take her away from me again- not now. Not ever,  "Blast it, Mycroft, answer your phone!!"

"Hey, mate, you alright?"

"Moriarty is on the prowl and has his targets on Adelaide. No, I don't believe that I am."

His mind raced as he tried to remember if Adelaide had planned on going out for dinner since her refrigerator was nearly empty. If so she is in danger. She needs to stay where the security measures are in place.

As the Yard moved into the room Sherlock snapped a photo of the cake display, sending it to John and Mycroft. The two responded with similar reactive messages. While the eldest Holmes relayed that he would check the security at Adelaide's flat, John called and attempted to cool the brunette down a bit. But Sherlock was already getting too upset.

He did finally calm down once Mycroft confirmed that Adelaide was safe at her flat. But what had begun as a level eight advanced to a level ten and Sherlock was so focused that he stayed at the scene through the night; searching for clues and trying to figure out when and how Moriarty would strike.

When John finally collected him the next day, the blogging doctor had to pull Sherlock out of the bakery and into the car, "I wasn't finished, John!"

"You got as much as you could and right now you need to calm down! Lestrade called me and told me that you were scaring a few of the officers there-"

"It's not my fault that they didn't understand that the cake was meant for me and not the murder weapon!"

"Sherlock-" John took a sharp breath, "Mate, lashing out at Scotland Yard is not going to help the situation. We don't need another Reichenbach."

"I doubt it would get that far again."

"Have you told Adelaide about this, then?" The consulting detective tensed up, staring out the window, "Sherlock, you've got to tell her. If she's in danger she should know."

"How exactly would I explain Oh Moriarty is back, he knows about our engagement and left a cake oozing blood for me to find  over the phone?!"

"Regardless, you need to tell her. She needs to know."

"I am aware."

John dropped Sherlock off at the Museum per his request and he hurried to Adelaide's office. She was talking with the rest of her research team when he entered, going over her notes from the previous night. When she noticed he was there she excused herself and they stepped outside, "John texted and said something happened with the case?"

"Moriarty."

"Moriarty is back again?"

Sherlock nodded stiffly, "Yes. He left a message for me at the crime scene- which fittingly was a bakery- in the form of a cake that spilled red liquid when I cut into it. He knows about our engagement and that you are from a line of bakers. Thus you are yet again in danger. He still has his sights on you."

"I see..," Adelaide sighed, "That does put a damper on things."

"A damper on things?  Moriarty will stop at nothing when he wants something. And he wants to burn the heart and soul out of me. It's not been very long since he nearly succeeded. It's much more than a damper on things." 

"Sherlock, I know! But I don't want to make the same mistake I did last time and get so caught up in fear that I left myself vulnerable. From what I've learned, Moriarty likes to wait until we're emotionally vulnerable before striking. So we can't give him that opportunity again."

"You think you know  what goes through Moriarty's head when he's planning to destroy me?! Well you don't, Adelaide!!" Sherlock lashed out, instantly regretting it. Adelaide darkened and stepped back.

"I don't know  exactly what all goes on his his mind but I can tell you what I observed with my last encounter with him. And that  is what I was talking about, Sherlock!" She shot back before taking a shallow breath, "I need to get back to my meeting."

As she turned towards the door he grabbed her hand, "Adelaide, wait!" She looked over her shoulder at him and he continued, "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have raised my voice and spoken to you like that."

Adelaide exhaled, "You're letting Moriarty take control. He's getting to you. You've got to understand that I don't like seeing you so upset and that I want to try and help you fend off his mind games."

He wilted a bit, "I know, Love. I'm just unaccustomed to having you here to help me..."

A few moments passed and then Adelaide turned to face him completely, "It's alright, Darling. You're forgiven," He exhaled with relief and leaned down to embrace her. She wrapped her arms around his neck and whispered, "We'll get through this, Sherlock... I promise."

Thank you for reading!! 😘