Gestures [A]

A Week Later

"Welcome back, Miss Cavanagh!!"

"Hey, great to see you back, Ada!"

"Glad to see you're doing okay, Adelaide!"

There is no end to the well wishes, welcome-back greetings, and questions. From the moment I walk into the Museum until I can finally get to the office my colleagues are all over me.

"Need this?"

"Need that?"

"Is it true you nearly died?"

"Here, let me get that for you!"

Luckily Ryan is at least being helpful. I remark to myself as I slump over my desk. I'm an introvert so this much attention is more exhausting than pleasant. Ryan has helped ward off most of my over eager coworkers and kept them away from the office so I can focus on paperwork and such. And even if I wanted to, I wouldn't be able to get outside to work the field project. So I try not to think about it.

But alas, my mind seems to be everywhere but on my work. Sherlock, mainly. He didn't want me to come back so soon. I was going to return a few days ago but he essentially begged me to wait longer. But luckily, with a little help from John, Sherlock conceded that I was well enough to resume working. 

And of course he made sure to replenish my vase with a new floral arrangement to commemorate my return and, unbeknownst to everyone else, our recent confessions of love to each other. Since we sort of fumbled our way into those, it's been interesting as Sherlock has been upping his game regarding our relationship. Like how he's been using new pet names...

The thought gives me shivers of joy. He has been trying a few new things to, in his words, "appropriately evolve his expressions of affection". It's not been drastic but there is a difference. And he is trying-

"Earth to Adelaide?! Yoohoo!"

I'm shocked out of my musings as a hand waves in front of my face. I jolt and then look up to see Ryan beside me, "You don't normally daydream, Adelaide. Are you sure  you should be back here so soon?"

"Yes, Ryan, I am absolutely sure. And I wasn't daydreaming. I was thinking about a few things and got into a zone." Technically not a lie.

She gives me a once over and then sighs, "Alright, but if you start feeling bad then let me know. Overworking is not going to help you improve."

I nod, "I'll inform you if I do feel ill, Ryan."

She looks me over again and returns to her desk. I take a breath and recenter my thoughts. Not the time to be thinking about Sherlock and your relationship. WORK, Ada!!

Luckily I manage to refocus and tune out the nagging thoughts for quite a while once I find my rhythm. I get a surprise around half past two though. I'm up feeding the fish when the office door opens and Sherlock strides in. I smile, "Oh, hey, Sherlock!!

He shuts the door behind him and I note that he has something behind his back. I try to ignore it as he walks to me, leaning down and planting a firm kiss on my lips. When he backs away he smiles gently, "Hello, Lovey. Enjoying being back at work?"

I nod, "Yep! It's been a rather good day actually. How about you, Hun?"

"Lonelier now that you're working again. But I am happy to see that you're getting back into the swing of things rather quickly, Angel."

Angel, Beautiful, Gorgeous,.. The names he's been using more often.

It sends a shiver down my spine, "So what brings you by, Sherlock?"

He smiles smugly, "I wanted to bring you something to enjoy with your triumphant return to work."

"Really?"

He nods, "Yes. I wasn't exactly sure which kind to get but the owner of the shop recommended these..," He unshields his hidden hand and reveals a small heart shaped box of what are presumably chocolates. The container is all gold foil and tied with a red bow, "I hope that these are acceptable?"

I tackle him with a hug and giggle, "Yes!! Thank you, Sherlock!!"

He hugs me tightly with his free arm and tucks my head under his chin, "You're welcome, Angel." I press a kiss to his jaw and then quickly finish up with the fish. He hands me the chocolates while we walk back to my desk.

Sherlock pulls a chair over and sits with me while I continue to work, feeding me a single chocolate at a time until they're all gone. After they're done he stays for a while before Lestrade calls him for a case. At which point he leans over and kisses me deeply, "Love you, Adelaide. I will see you later."

I giggle, "Love you, Sherlock. See you later!"

And with that he smiles and hurries out. I giggle a bit more and blush to myself.

He's definitely more affectionate now. I'm glad that he trusts me so much to let himself express his emotions to me.

Sorry about the long wait!! I've been really busy with vacation and stuff and hit a writer's block! But here it is! I hope you enjoyed it, Love you all!!

Stay tuned! #Sherlaide isn't over yet!