Goodbye

"NOOOOO!"

Thomas jolts awake as the memories from last night's events torment him on terrible nightmares once again.

He takes his time to steady his breathing and calming his heartbeat, relaxing his muscles a tiny bit.

He takes a look at his surroundings, noticing that he's indeed in a cabin, on a comfy, soft (probably handmade) bed.

Lifting his long sleeved shirt up to his stomach, he sees as his abdomen is all patched up, his wound probably underneath almost painless comparing to the empty space he's feeling inside his heart.

Newt is gone. Gone. Thomas saw as his best friend turned in front of his eyes, the deadly disease spreading inside his body without any control, with Thomas having nothing on his will to help his friend while they waited for the Cure.
And now he's not there with him.

Thomas adjusts his shirt to its initial position, and allows himself to think about the night before.

The white bandage on his belly just proves to him what he's been trying so hard to believe is only his imagination:

He really lost her.

The thought of her last smile towards him, just moments before the ceiling collapsed, just makes Thomas' chest ache, the horrible fact eating his mind every second.

He stands up slowly, still careful due to the wound, and he finds himself walking towards Camp.

In the distance he sees as the loud waves crash into the light sand, creating soothing, calming sounds that invade his ears, and he relaxes for some needed moments.

Of course, they don't last long.

"Hey there, shuck face!" Minho exclaims as he walks towards Thomas, his voice loud and apparently happy, but hiding the truth within them. The truth that Minho is broken inside as well.

"Hey, Minho." Thomas greets back, remembering how lucky he is to have Minho there with him. At least not everything went bad on his rescue mission. At least Minho is back.

"How are you feeling, man?" His friend asks softly, patting Thomas' shoulder.

"I'm fine, I think." Thomas gives Minho a sad smile, looking down at his hands afterwards.

And then, he's being pulled into a tight hug.

Thomas hugs back, finding comfort on his best friends' strong embrace.

"We're gonna be okay, Thomas. I know that." Thomas nods at Minho's words, a bit shocked at the vulnerable state the boy is in now, but who isn't? Thomas is as well. They've lost so many people, friends, family. They need time to feel from their hearts instead of their brains now that they're finally at peace.

"Okay. Let's not get too emotional over here. Right, shank?" Minho jokes as they pull away, making Thomas chuckle at his statement.

"You coming to the celebration?" Minho asks a few moments later as they look at the sea ahead of them. The celebration where they're going to honor the ones who didn't make it there.

Thomas sighs softly, taking in the salty scent of the water.

"I am."

****

Thomas watches as his friends carve their loved ones' names on the Memorial Rock. Gally carves Chuck's; Frypan carves Winston's; Vince carves Mary's; and Minho carves Newt's.

Thomas knows there's still a name missing on that Rock, but he can't find that strength inside of him yet to do it now. He can't let her go just yet. He needs to be in that numb state for just a bit longer before coming to a realization that she's not coming back.

Hugs and words of comfort are shared as the Gladers from both Group A and B chat and laugh around the bonfire, occasionally bringing their lost ones up in the conversation.

Thomas had told Minho about the letter Newt gave him, not giving much details, but telling him what he needed to let out. And Minho was there to listen to him every second while he spoke.

****

Thomas wakes up earlier this morning. He gets up from his bed, coming out into the cold wind of the beginning of a new day at the Safe Haven, and he finds himself walking towards the Memorial Rock, which is standing right in the middle of the Camp.

He's quiet, since every one else is sleeping besides Vince, and he silently takes the small carving object that lays on a log besides the Rock.

He finds the perfect spot next to Chuck's and Newt's, and he starts carving, deep in thought.

Teresa.

His best friend since he was a little kid.
The person he cared about deeply, even after the betrayal.
The girl he had created a connection with, being it something more serious or just friendship.
The person he'll have to learn to live without for the rest of his life.

It will be hard. He knows that. But he promised himself he'll live his life at its fullest, always remembering how better it would be with her by his side. But he'll do it. For her.

Thomas rewrites her name with his fingers, feeling as if somehow he's caressing her soft hand.

"I just want you to know..." he whispers, slumping his head down and closing his eyes as he thinks about her beautiful smile. "I will never forget about you." Thomas smiles softly, lifting his head to look at the six letter name.

"Never."

And Thomas walks away, his last goodbye causing his heart to sink to his knees, but a final feeling of closure and calmness in the end, telling him that she's not really gone.

Not as long as he remembers her.

A/N

Woof sorry about this sad/emotional chapter 😂

Also, oMG I REACHED 1K VIEWS! Like, guys, thank you so much! I never EVER thought this story would get so far, so thank you so much!

I love you!!!