Night In The Slammer

"Gally?"

Thomas watched as one of the older Gladers walked furiously towards him, his expression showing rage and hatred. Mostly towards Thomas.

The Glade had practically gone to ashes. The Griever's attack destroyed pretty much everything, and the flames around them just gave more to the danger of the situation they were in.

And Alby, their First in Command, was one of the many boys who died that night.

Thomas came back to his senses when he felt an extreme pain exploding on his cheek, sending him immediately to the ground.

"This is all you, Thomas! Look around!" Gally yelled as Newt, Minho and Frypan tried to hold him back from hurting the boy any more.

"Back off Gally, it's not Thomas' fault!" Minho fired back as Chuck and Teresa helped Thomas to his feet, the two occasionally asking him if he's okay.

"You know what Alby said! He's one of them!" Gally continued, pointing an accusing finger at Thomas. "He's one of them and he sent them here to destroy everything and now he has! Look around, Thomas! Look around. This is your fault!"

Thomas lowered his head, his eyes moving slowly to the object Chuck was holding tightly on his hand.

The boy could see the danger on what he was about to do. He knew it. But he couldn't continue with that without knowing either Gally was right or wrong. He needed to know.

He took the metallic object from Chuck's hand, the little boy looking up in surprise and confusion.

"Maybe he's right." Thomas whispered to no one in particular, his eyes still fixed on the metallic object that held his memories.

"Thomas?" Teresa's voice was low, holding fear yet anticipation to what her long time friend (unknowingly to them) was about to do. Thomas knew she had already realized what thoughts were crossing his mind.

"I need to remember, Teresa."

Before Teresa could object (which he knew she would), Thomas stung himself with the serum, falling once again to the ground as every voice faded away slowly.

"Chuck, get the other syringe!" It was the last thing he heard before blacking out, and somehow, he felt at ease knowing that Teresa's voice was the last thing he would hear if he didn't make it back from The Changing alive.

****

She never left his side during the whole night.

After the night's events had calmed down, and Gally making a deal with Newt and Minho that he would be leading from then on, Minho, Newt and Teresa, with a little bit of help from others on their side, after injecting Thomas with the serum, helped carrying him to the Slammer, where he would spend the night.

Teresa went in with him, not only because she convinced Newt and Minho that he should have someone on his side when he wakes up, but because Gally obligated her to, and so, they agreed of course.

The night was calm. After all the running and fighting they had, Teresa could admit she was tired and was glad to have some time to finally rest.

She sat on the ground with her back against the incredibly smooth rock in the back of the small box, right beside Thomas.

Teresa looked at him, watching as he shivered through his sleep, and she wondered what he was remembering.

He was sweating. Small drops of sweat falling from his forehead as he laid his head on the ground beside Teresa.

Small huffs and grunts were heard coming from his mouth, and Teresa felt extremely concerned about him.

She didn't remember much about him, only that she somehow had some kind of connection with him. What it is, she didn't know for now.

After battling with herself for some minutes, Teresa decided to move closer to Thomas, holding his head and laying it on her lap, his body sprawled on the ground in the opposite direction than hers.

She caressed his hair, the soothing movements calming not only her but also him, as his shaking and painful sounds became quieter.

"You're going to be okay... I know you will." She reassured, moving a small strand of hair from his forehead.

"It's weird, you know? I don't remember anything about me, about you, about anyone in here, but I feel like I've known you for years and... and that we were really great friends before all of this started." She continued to whisper to him, even though she knew he couldn't hear her. Or maybe he could, she wasn't sure.

She didn't know when that happened, but her eyes closed, still caressing his hair, and she fell into a deep, peacefull sleep.

This was them. They didn't know each other, didn't remember anything about each other, but they still managed to keep each other safe, protecting each as if it was the most important thing in this cruel world.

And for them, it truly was.

A/N

Hiiiii! Sorry for the late update but I had a busy week.

Hope you liked the simple chapter (sorry for that) and see you soooon!