Everything Is Not Enough

A/N

Okay get yourselves prepared cuz this chap has some shucking feels. 😁😉

________________

"Thomas?"

Her voice is barely a whisper, the sudden shock of seeing the boy right in front of her turning around holding his stomach, the once blue shirt now turning into a dark red one causing her head to start to spin.

"Thomas!"

She rushes to his side, trying her best to help him sit down on the floor without hurting himself even more, smoothing his movements.

Thomas lifts his shirt to analyze his wounds while grunting in pain. His face falls when he sees the long bullet hole perforated through his stomach.

Teresa gasps, immediately turning around for some seconds to search for anything to stop the bleeding to therefore prevent Thomas from dying right in front of her eyes. Once she finds some gauze, she rushes to his side, putting pressure on the wound with her hands, her mind somehow managing to help her help her friend.

"Put pressure on it! Hold it!"

Thomas does the best he can, but Teresa can see that he's starting to pale, his strength starting to run out.

And she's not the only one noticing it.

"You... you gotta go..." Thomas whispers, his gaze never leaving hers. "You gotta go..." He swallows hard, feeling his mouth getting dry as his hands get bloodied with time but still manages to nod, encouraging the girl he's learned to forgive over time.

Thomas knows his time is running low. He knows Janson is probably searching for them as they speak. And he also knows that he wants her to live, because he's sure he won't make it by the wound he has on the abdomen.

"No." Teresa's voice is strong besides the pain she's feeling inside her chest. "Not without you."

Thomas' breath is quick and short, almost gasping for air he surely needs, but still he doesn't look away from the girl in front of him, who's trying her best to make him feel better, to make him heal for a bit.

There's a moment when they just look into each other's eyes, trying to find the strength and courage to keep going.

Teresa's heart almost skips a beat when she sees Thomas' eyes starting to close. She immediately cups his head on her hands.

"Thomas, I need you to open your eyes. Keep your eyes open, okay?" She shakes him slightly, sighing in relief when he opens his eyes once again.

"I'm not... I'm not gonna make it... so just go. Please." His voice makes its way to Teresa's ears and she shakes her head.

"No, Thomas, we're going to get you out, and you'll be fine. You just have to keep your eyes open." Tears start to form on her eyes, but Teresa tries to push them away. There's no way she'll cry in  front of Thomas, especially when he's at this state.

The way his face is drown out of color; the way he almost gasps to breathe; and the way his eyes get heavier at every minute, Teresa knows he's at a really bad state. The idea of him dying is something she denies to think about. Thomas is strong. She believes in him enough to know that.

"Teresa." He calls, his voice low as his breathing gets somehow steady. He struggles but he manages to hold her hands, sliding them down to his lap. "I'm sorry." He starts. "I'm sorry I didn't trust y-"

"Thomas, please, don't say that. We can talk later, just please save some energy, okay?" Teresa fidgets in her spot, the thought of losing him too much for her to bear. It's Thomas' turn to hold her still.

"Just... listen." Teresa stops and nods softly, a lump forming in her throat. "I'm sorry I didn't trust you when I should. I now understand that... that you just wanted the best for all of us." Thomas stops to cough weakly, letting out small grunts of pain. "But I just want you to know that I never hated you. Not really. And so you have to promise me that you'll save yourself, and that you'll live for me."

Tears are now running down Teresa's cheeks and she doesn't fight them anymore as she nods her head, pursing her lips in a failled attempt to not cry.

Giving her a small smile, he lifts his hand to wipe them away in a last movement, the bloodied hand falling to his lap right after.

He sees the fear in her eyes, the desperation and emotion and rage, and he manages some last words.

"It's okay..." the smile never leaves his face as he takes one last breath, his body relaxing and the eyes finally closing, never to reopen again.

And Teresa is left in a state of numbness. She looks at the boy, a full void of emptiness in her mind as she sees the life draining out of his system.

"Thomas?" She shakes his shoulders, then holds his head in her hands, and then she's checking his pulse, and her heart stops when she feels nothing against her fingers.

"No, no, no, no... Thomas..." She looks at his face, now relaxed and drained of pain. "Don't leave me..."

Small sobs escape her mouth, and she slumps to his body, her head resting on his shoulder as she holds him tightly, letting all the tears fall.

"Please, don't leave me..." She whispers, her throat husky from all the emotion and sadness in her body. "Don't..."

And when Janson finds her, she makes a promise to herself.
She'll live. It will be hard. Unbearable maybe. But she'll live for her best friend. For him and only him, because that was his last wish.

She managed to escape Janson, run through the flames of the ceiling and jump into the Berg, giving each her friends glances of pure sadness and discomfort. She was waiting to hear accusations and bad things towards her, but she didn't. Everyone trusted Thomas, so they would trust him in this too.

Teresa was not a bad person, and they were sure she did everything she could to save their friend.

Unfortunately everything was not enough that night.

A/N

I'm soooo sorryyyyy

You probably hate me right now but I love you! ❤

Next one will be a cute one so I can make up for this one 😂