Marble Madness

(I made this early to make up for the last chapter being lost. Enjoy)

Hermes Station
Primary control room

Hammond Doyle read yet another alert from the monitor. He never could remember the kid's name. Same long and German probably.

These 'robonoids' as he was told they were called by Admiral Sierra-009. They had been appearing out of small Slipspace portals for the last few days. The damn things we're nearly impossible to detect. Apparently Homeworld Slipspace drives were even better then these 'Covenant' he was also told to watch out for. Thankfully he hadn't seen any bulbous purple ships yet so that was a good sign.

He decided he finally had enough of these damn robots. Theoretically they could keep shooting them down with 50 mm or missiles if they got to far for several hundred years. But he would both be long past his new 150 year lifespan and would get very tiring for both him and the crew.

"Let it go. I want it investigated." He said to the crew aboard the control room. All of the personnel turned to look at him as if he'd grown a second head.

"What, are you gonna sit around all day or are you gonna get a fucking pelican ready." He said to them. They all immediately went back to their jobs.
______

Lance corporal Max rider was rudely awaken from his sleep. He angrily looked up to see none other than his big brother Jimmy at the door to his room. His brother was dressed in his BDU's. His short brown hair and blue eyes standing out in the shadow he made in the doorway.

Max felt the bed shift next to him. He looked to his right to see his girlfriend of almost 4 years next to him sleeping peacefully. She was a scientist aboard the station.

"Good to see you up finally." His brother said with a smug grin on his face.

He turned his legs to rest on the floor as he rubbed his eyes to get the sleep out of them. "Why'd you wake me up." He said with a mild but of irritation as he finally looked at his big brother with his identical blue eyes.

His grin was replaced with a more neutral expression as he told Max why he was rudely awoken. "Commander Hammond he's ordered us to investigate the orbs that have been appearing out of Slipspace for the past few days. He also wants Maria to be the science officer that does the research work. Were simply there to act as bodyguards."

Max turned around to wake up Maria. Her green eyes fluttered open and her scarlet hair covered her eyes as she woke up.

"Good morning beautiful." She heard Max say next to her.

"Why are we awake right now. I had a late night at the lab. Those robonoids aren't simple." She said to Max.

"Your investigating the robonoids that have been appearing. We're going to be providing security." She heard Jim say from the door.

She bli med for a second before she immediately got a huge grin and grabbed her work clothes and headed for the bathroom in the blink of an eye.

"Guess she's on board." Max said with a chuckle as he turned back toward his brother.

"Meet me in armory 3 in half an hour." Jimmy said as he closed the metal door and left.
______

After breakfast with Maria, Max had put on his BDU's and made his way to the armory. Once there he saw Jimmy already in his ODST gear and he was finishing the examination of his BR55 battle rifle. He finished racking the bolt as he saw his little brother enter.

Max immediately went to his locker and started to switch from his BDU to his ODST under suit.

"How's Maria been?" Jimmy asked him.