The Signal

Alpha Centauri system

Aboard the bridge of UNSC Here Be Dragons

"Captain Petra, we'll be exciting Slipspace in 5 minutes. I would advise you finish grabbing your coffee and get on the bridge." Said the gruff gone of the ships AI.

Arthur based his personality after a 14th century knights Templar.

His full suit of armor was always on, even his helmet which had a black mist that leaked out underneath.

Arthur stood next to the captain as she finished adding creamer to her large jug of coffee.

"Yeah yeah, give me a moment." The captain said as she screwed on the lid of her jug before walking out of the break room.

The dark skinned woman had only been the Captain of the Here Be Dragons for a month now. The almost 2 kilometer long ship was the second Indianapolis class cruiser to be made. And she was damn proud of it.

She walked down the hallway that lead to the nearest warp pad. This was the first class of ship to be fitted with them for rapid movement throughout the ship.

She stepped on the green crystalline pad that somewhat contrasted with the gunmetal Titanium B and orange paint. But no one minded since it made transport through the ship so much easier.

She activated the pad with a signal from her neural interface and immediately was transported through the Slipspace corridor of the warp pads.

She appeared just a few seconds later in a hallway that lead to the bridge. No pad was out in the bridge due to security concerns. As well as there being .50 cal automated turrets hanging from the ceiling.

Her long and curly raven black hair swayed slightly as she stepped off the pad. Her boots squeaking slightly against the metal floor.

The bulkhead of the bridge opened up and allowed the captain inside. She took a sip and looked around at her crew. She prided herself at being a good captain and putting her crew before herself. And she was glad the UNSC didn't have as strict requirements on hair as militaries of the past.

The only time in it was that it couldn't impact performance. So people usually trimmed their hair short on the front but let the rest grow out.

"Captain, we'll be exciting Slipspace with our escorts very soon." Said her nav officer.

"Good, what's the status of the ship. I want everything to be green for go." She said calmly as she sat in the comfy but utilitarian chair that was close to the holotable.

"MAC guns are loaded and armed. Archer missile pods are hot, 70 mm guns are loaded, Onagers are loaded and charged and laser array is online." Said her chief weapons officer.

"Reactor is running steady at 50% and ready to be brought up to full burn at a moment's notice."

"Engines are green."

"Shields are at 100%."

"Fighters and dropships are armed and ready."

"Spartans are ready for action."

Petra smiled at that. Her new ship was 100% combat ready and she was good to put a MAC round through anything that threatened them.

"Dropping out of Slipspace in 5....4....3...2....1." Arthur said as the ship lurched. The transition to realspace was complete.

"UNSC Jeager and UNSC Into the Howling Dark are exitijg Slipspace 500 k to either side of us." Arthur informed her.

Petra looked at the hologram of the 2 Jeager class frigates that served as her escorts.