the birds ~ 27

AN: Guess who finally decided to update. This one is a bit shorter than usual, but I like it the way it is. 

_

Midoriya and he were released on the same day, the next day, although Yuma was only allowed to leave much later in the day.

The reason for that is that the doctors needed to run some more tests and see how well Yuma recovered. They told him that even as the injury was healed, they were still worrying about his internal organs. The Hero Killer had punctured his lung with the blade, and it took them a while to stop the bleeding. If Yuma arrived a few minutes later, there was a high possibility of him dying from the wound.

Being told that face-to-face was... frightening, to say the least—to think that once he blacked out that night, he would never open his eyes again. He'd never see Chikara, nor would he see Shion.

Todoroki. He was the one who carried him. That would have been... traumatising—to have a classmate die in his arms.

The worst part was that Chikara would probably blame herself. She made so many promises to him that one day, and she would think that she was the one who broke them. They knew each other for so little time, but she was bound to him already.

It was the same for him.

_

Thankfully, the doctors found no other problem with his body, and it was safe to say that the lung was as good as new. There would be no more problems with it in the future.

As such, Yuma was promptly discharged from the hospital.

He had taken the small note his aunt left, and dialled the number on it. It rang a couple of times, before he heard a voice, "Hello?" Unexpectedly, the one who answered wasn't Chikara, but Shion.

"It's Yuma," he hesitantly spoke, somewhat taken aback, "Chikara told me to call this number."

"Yuma?! Are you all right?! She told me what happened, but I couldn't come to the hospital!" She sounded frantic...

It was... unusual to hear someone worry about him, he wasn't used to something like that, "I'm fine..." he trailed off, not quite sure what else to say, "I'm sorry for calling this late, but could you... come pick me up?" He averted his eyes, even as they were just talking on the phone.

"Of course!" He heard the sound of a car door slamming shut, "I'll be there in less than five minutes, you can wait out front."

He nodded, and instantly felt dumb for doing that, "Okay, thank you... aunty."

The other line went silent for a second and he thought he made a mistake by calling her that, before something akin to a small sob was heard, "Anytime, Yuma."

He felt like crying.

_

He sat on a small bench with his hands tucked in his pockets, idly looking up at the darkening sky. The stars weren't out yet, but they were bound to come out in an hour or so. It was inevitable.

He sat like that, for what seemed like an eternity to him, but not even five minutes had passed.

Small clicks resounded around him and he looked up just in time to see Shion stop mere inches away from him. Her eyes were wide, and her hair was dishevelled, almost as if she didn't even get to comb through it. Was she that worried about him, that she didn't even properly ready herself before she raced to the hospital?

That made his heart painfully clench inside his chest.

"Hi." He blinked up at her, feeling somewhat shy in her presence.