eleven

Elle McBriar
May 4th, 1 year and 161 days since the first zombie report

Riley had fallen asleep next to the baby and I wished I had a camera so I could photograph what they look like. Penny had come inside before and I heard her bedroom door shut so I new she was safe.

I had nothing to do, because no one likes me at the moment and no one wants to talk to me.

I'm trying my hardest to have a funeral and get everyone on board but they shut it down immediately.

I've been trying to write a few words to say to him but I'm stuck. All I've got is, I miss you and you're a bastard for leaving me alone.

Maybe if I fake a house fire, they'll come out of their rooms. Or if I fake gunshots.

"Elle." I heard. A deep voice. I turned my head and saw no one. I rubbed my eyes, still seeing nothing. That was weird. "Elle." I heard it again. This time, Paxton was standing in the doorway, leaning against the frame, "Yes- hi." I stumbled.

I stood up from the couch, heading over to him, "Are you okay? Do you want me to make you something?" I blurted out, suddenly feeling nervous around him. He shook his head, "We need to say goodbye to him." He whispered. I was taken back by what he said, but covered it with a cough, "Okay. So what do you want to do?"

I brushed a long strand of hair that was dropping over his eyes and pushed it on top of his head. His eyes subtly closed as he leaned into my touch, "We need to have a headstone. A-and a burial and speeches. He deserves a proper goodbye." I nodded, "Do you want to write a speech?" I whispered, "I've had all these words built up in my mind and I don't know how to get them out." He stuttered. "Then don't write. Just speak."

"All this pent up hurt and anger will come out when you want it too. No point writing down your thoughts if there's too many." He agreed with me, "Now, please take a shower."

And for the first time in three days, he smiled.

* * *

The time had come.

Penny was dressed in Paxton's button-flannel and leggings, her arms folded over her chest with a piece of paper tucked into her pocket.

Megan stood with Alex, who had a blank look on his face.

There was a nailed-in wooden cross sitting at the head of the grave, with Gage's name and his birthday on it, we'll get a nicer one when we figure out how to carve stone.

It was all silent as we waited for each other to speak. I was gripping Paxton's arm so he didn't fall. And so I didn't either. We're holding each other up.

Speeches were said, tears were shed.

It was emotional, and angry but loving and gentle at the same time.

This is what Gage would of wanted. Us together, moving on and remaining friends. He wouldn't want us to fight or blame each other.

I felt a slight sense of relief as I gave my speech, a few giggles hear and there from silly memories we'd all had together.

"But mainly, I'm mad that he left me alone with all of you guys. It's bad enough I was stuck with the three of them before you guys came alone. This family will always remain the same, 8 members. 3 girls, and unforunately 5 guys." That earned a small chuckle.

But now we're a family with one less member.

After our makeshift 'ceremony' ended, we all headed back inside. Complaining about the chill breeze and how it's getting darker and darker. We were actually talking to each other again. It's a great sight. And a great feeling!

"Hey Elle, can I talk to you for a sec." Penny said. She pulled me aside, "I'm sorry for calling you a bitch. You're not a bitch, I swear." I laughed, "Dude, it's cool. I get it."

We emerged back into the crowd where we were laughing. Alex was telling some stupid story about when they were kids in high school and Gage was dared to skinny dip in a half frozen lake and when he came out he screamed, 'blue balls'.

We laughed and cried. We always drank away the pain. Lots of alcohol could be smelled tonight. Lots!

I burped and swallowed the sickly feeling in my stomach as I downed another beer. Talk about being a lightweight.

Riley was sitting with us in the living room as we talked. He happily colored and hopefully didn't listen to our conversations.

"Honestly, it's been such a shitty last couple of days I mean- absolute crap!" Alex laughed softly as he leaned his head on his girlfriend.

"I've had so much anxiety dude. I didn't want to get out of bed. But we did it!" Paxton said, drunkenly high-fiving Alex.

"Anxiety. It's a bitch." I chuckled, raising my glass. "Is that the nervous?" Riley chirped in, looking up at is innocently.

"Yeah bud, it's what we talked about, remember." Alex said, rubbing his little brothers head. "Elle has nervous." He smiled. Looking at me.

I widened my eyes a little bit. "Yeah, we all do. Lots of things are scary." I said, trying to change the subject.

Paxton looked between me and Riley, "Death is scary." Riley suddenly blurred out. We all went silent as he said that, glancing at each other, "What are you talking about?"

Riley realised what he said and his eyes widened, "Oops. Sorry Elle." I smiled weakly, "Does anyone want a top up?"

I quickly grabbed my cup and stood up, heading into the kitchen.

I stood by the sink, washing my cup and cleaning it. Suddenly, I'm sober.

I leaned against the sink, praying no one caught on to what Riley was saying.

I heard the kitchen door open and turned around. My heart rate sped up when I saw Paxton leaning against the wall, hands crossed over his chest.

He was looking straight at me.

Eyes wandering up my body before his deep brown eyes bored into my soul.

He licked his lips, "Do you have something to tell me?"

* * *

hiii

if you received an update about this chapter that wasn't actually there - it's because i'm silly and accidentally pressed 'publish' when it wasn't even done!

but here you go! enjoy!