twenty seven

Paxton Price
May 15th, 1 year and 172 days since the first zombie report

I lay uncomfortably with this sleeping girl in my lap. She was lying soundly, her arms wrapped around my neck.

I've had a cramp in my hand for the past 10 minutes, but if I woke her... she's KILL me.

Even in her sleep, she managed to make me feel loved. The way her fingers tickled my skin, her breath close to my neck.

She looks so peaceful, beautiful.

"Isn't this a sight." I heard a voice say.

I looked up and saw Alex, smirking at me and Elle. I smiled down at Elle and kissed her head, pushing her hair out of the way.

"Thanks for taking care of the kids man, I appreciate it." Alex said, leaning over Gage's crib.

"It was all Elle, I just put them to bed." I said. "Well thank her when she wakes up."

I scooped Elle up in my arms and carried her bridal-style to our room, laying her perfect body in the mattress.

She squirmed until her arms eventually fell off my neck and they went around her own body.

I lay beside her, inhaling her scent and pulling the covers over us. I pressed my front against her back as she leaned into me, mumbling sweet nothings.

My God, I love her so much. She is my whole world.

My fingers tickled her arm. She stayed completely still. I was a little angry to see the fading bruises and scars that will forever taint her perfect skin.

I'm angry that I can't always protect her. It's my job, I should be there. I know she doesn't blame me, but I blame myself.

Just as I close my eyes, the door opens and I see a tiny mount of hair running towards us.

Alex stops by the doorway, catching his breath, "I tried to stop him guys, sorry." Alex shrugged, "It's okay."

He closed the door as Riley climbed up onto the bed, smiling as he saw I was awake, "Hi Uncle Paxton."

Riley made his way between Elle and I as he jumped under the covers, resting between us.

He started telling me a story about his toys and how he made them fall in love. I told him it was interesting but I couldn't take my eyes off Elle.

Her body had turned over so that she was facing me. Her hair was sprawled over her face, covering her neck.

Her face was bare and I fell even more in love with her, if that's even possible.

"Uncle Paxton!" Riley shouted, "What? Shh, what is it?" Riley beamed up at me, "Have you ever been in love?" He asked.

I was a little shocked at his question but nonetheless answered, "You know Aunty Elle." He nodded and smiled, "I'm in love with her. I love her so so much."

"I love Aunty Elle too." Riley smiled, "I know you do buddy."

Riley stayed quiet and folded his arms over his chest, laying peacefully still.

Elle opened her eyes and blinked a few times before yawning, smiling as she saw me and Riley in bed.

"What are you two monkeys up to?" She giggled, brushing a strand of hair off her face, "We're talking about you Aunty Elle."

I felt a slight blush rise to my cheeks as I turned my head away from her intimidating glance.

"What were you guys talking about?"

"How much we love you!" Elle laughed and gathered Riley in her arms, tickling him until he squirmed away.

They play-fought for a little bit, making the bed a mess.

Riley left after telling us he was 'bored of adult conversations'.

"You're good with them, you know." Elle spoke softly, "What do you mean?"

"Kids. You're good with kids. You're so gentle and patient." Her finger drew circles on my bare chest and I shivered as her hand went lower to my stomach.

I shrugged, "I love them. I wouldn't let anything happen to them." I stayed the truth, "I know you wouldn't. It just makes me think, that's all."

There was a small smile on her face. I could tell she was conflicted.

I leaned over and kissed her head, trailing down to her cheek, neck, then her cleavage.

"Pax- stop." She giggled, playing with my hair, "I want kisses." I said sternly, pouting. The sound of her laugh makes my heart flutter.

The love of my life.

"I have to go talk to Elaine and Penny, you wanna come with or-?"

"I have to find Alex, ask him about our conversation earlier."

She kissed me quickly before slipping a shirt over her head, closing the door.

Sighing and rubbing a hand over my face, I got up and went in search of Alex.

* * *

I found him outside with Riley, they were playing in the mud.

"Hey there. Care to make mud-pies with us?" Alex smirked, wiping his hands on his little brother.

Riley giggled so hard he coughed, I smiled.

"Go inside and find the girls, you need a shower." Alex said to Riley. He nodded and went inside, leaving us alone.

"What's up man?" He asked me. She was covered in mud. On his arms, legs and clothes, "Megan's going to kill you!" I laughed at the thought of it.

"Trust me, I know."

"So, have you got it?" I asked sheepishly, scratching the back of my head.

The sun was beginning to set and it was getting a little colder. I shivered as Alex reached into his back pocket.

"Yup, I found the place."

He handed me a piece of paper.

Kristen's Bridal Shop
418B Felicity Road

I held the paper in my hands and felt a smile tug at my lips, "Do they do rings?"

He nodded his head, an excited smile on his lips, "I'm so proud of you bro."

* * *

hey!

i know this is a short chapter i'm sorrrrry

BUT, do you guys like Paxton's POV? i did it once on the first book and i'm not sure how i feel about it.

let me know!