fourty nine

Elle McBriar,
June 6th, 1 year and 196 days since the first zombie report

A couple days had passed since we were released.

Our bruises and cuts are healing, slowly but healthily.

Life is back on track, for now.

"Hey- you know, we haven't heard from the Wangs for a while." Alex suddenly said.

I cocked my head, "True, actually. Do you think we should check on them?" Megan asked.

We all looked at each other.

"I mean, it couldn't hurt too. They did inform us about the zombies and everything." Elaine shrugged.

"I guess we could go this afternoon." I said lazily, flipping my hair over my shoulder. Alex shrugged, "Sure."

* * *

So, we went to the Wangs, leaving Penny and Megan at home to look after the kids.

"I have a bad feeling." I suddenly said, gripping my stomach. It churned and growled. Maybe I'm just hungry?

"Oh shit." Paxton sighed, "What?" Elaine asked, "Whenever Elle has a bad feeling, bad stuff usually happens."

Elaine frowns, "Thanks for that."

We arrived at the house and climbed out of the car, staring up at the big mansion.

"It's not too late to turn back." Alex said, "This was your idea."

Walking up slowly and quietly, Alex reached out to knock on the door. But we were surprised to see that it was already open.

The door creaked slightly as Alex pushed in it. It squeaked like in horror movies.

"Okay, I'm officially creeped out." Elaine cling to me and I held her back.

"Do we go inside? Isn't that trespassing?"

"It's not trespassing if there's no one alive to arrest us."

We all stood outside, on edge and staring inside the dark room.

"Oh for goodness sake-" I sighed, pushing past them and into the house.

"Mr and Mrs Wang? It's Elle!" I called out, my voice echoing slightly.

The others followed closely behind.

It was dusty, speckles of dust and particles were gathering in corners and flying through the air. 

"Is anyone home?" I asked. 

We checked everywhere.

"This house is big. Maybe they're taking a nap or something."

I suddenly bumped into something, looking up, I had run into Paxton's back, "Why'd you stop?"

"Do you smell that?" I sniffed the air, suddenly becoming very aware, "Blood."

"It's musty, very close by-"

He didn't get to finish his sentence because there was a trail of blood at his feet.

"Okay what the hell is going on right now?" Elaine squeaked, grabbing my arm.

"Mr Wang? Mrs Wang?"

We kept calling their names, hearing nothing in response.

We followed the trail of blood that led to a closed door. My breath caught in my throat, please don't tell me that what I'm thinking is true.