sixteen

Elle McBriar
May 5th, 1 year and 162 days since the first zombie report

I was shaking with fear as Alex held me close to his side, his hand gripping my arm. I mouthed, 'what do we do' and he shook his head, "Stay here. Don't come out unless I tell you too. Or- I'm dead or something." He left me alone in the kitchen. I stood in the middle of the room.

They can't get me with four walls, windows and a bunch of knives. 

How did Alex know we're not alone?

He came back into the room and had a radio in his hand, "Signal to the others, now. Go outside and be as quiet as you can." He whispered.

I could tell her was scared, he was running his fingers through his hair. I nodded, "What do I tell them? Do we even know who's here?" I whispered back, "I don't know but I have a pretty good idea." I nodded, knowing exactly what he means.

"Tell them to stay at the store. Don't come back until we radio again. If they leave, the baby and Riley will be in danger." He shoved me out the door and I backed up against the house, kneeling down so no one can see me. I was right by the back door so I had easy access in and out.

I turned the nob on the receiver and heard it crackle before a random voice came through.

"Hello?" I recognised it as Penny's. I sighed in relief, "Penny, where are you guys right now?" I said hurriedly, "Uh, I'm with Megan and the baby. Alex and Riley are outside, why?" She asked me. I took a deep breath, "Okay uh- c-can you put me on with Paxton, please?" 

"Why, is everything okay?" She asked, "Yeah everything is fine, I just need him to get me something." I heard slight movement through the receiver and then I heard that sweet voice.

"Hey babe, what's up?" Paxton said.

"Don't come home." I blurted out, "W-what? Why? What's going on? Where's Alex?" I started to panic, "Look, you can't come home. Under any circumstance until we call you back." I hoped he couldn't hear the pain in my voice, "Elle, tell me what's going on, right now."

"Someone's in the house. We don't know who but Alex told me stay outside and warn you guys to stay where you are. If you come home, the kids could be in danger. Please listen to me and stay there."

I didn't hear anything for a bit before Paxton took a deep breath, "You seriously can't be asking me to stay here while you guys are being hunted." I knew he would try and object!

"Paxton please- we can handle this!" 

"What if it's more than one person? More than you can both handle? Elle, baby, please be careful." I could hear the tense-ness in his voice as he tried to calmly tell me I'm an idiot, "If I don't hear from you in an hour I'm coming home, do you understand me?"

I know in the heat of the moment I should be intimidated but I'm kind of turned on. Angry Paxton is a hot Paxton.

"Yes. I do. But whatever you do, come alone. If anything happens to the girls or the kids-"
"I know. Be careful, I love you." 
"I love-"

A scream came from the house.

I turned my head and my throat hitched, "ALEX." I dropped the radio, hearing it crack as I racked inside, "ALEX. ALEX, WHERE ARE YOU?" 

I ran up the stairs, seeing no one up there. Our rooms were trashed, things were thrown everywhere it was... horrible.

I darted into the living room and then the kitchen. Stopping in my tracks and screaming at the top of my lungs.

Alex was tied to a chair, tape around his mouth and a knife pressed to his neck.

"Take one more step and he gets cut." It was a guy I didn't recognise. He had blonde hair, brown eyes and a few tattoos on his arms. He's scary. I looked him dead in the eye with tears down my face, "W-who are you?" I stuttered, "I'm Mason, Tracy's son." 

My eyes widened as did Alex's. 

"But- if you're here that means the other kids are free too?" I said, "Nope. Just me. I managed to escape the cryo-sleep they put me in. Now I'm here- taking my revenge." 

"Revenge? Revenge for what? What did we do?"

"What didn't you do? I take it you're Elle?" I nod my head and Alex rolls his eyes, I can tell what he's thinking, 'have you learned nothing about revealing out identities to complete strangers who are holding us hostage?'

"Well, we're going to have some fun."

Mason looked at the men who were standing quietly in the corner, their arms crossed. He nodded and the men came towards me. Alex thrashed in his seat as the men took me by the arms and sat me down on a chair, opposite Alex. My arms were hog-tied as I uncomfortably squirmed around in my seat.

Mason walked over to Alex and ripped the tape off his mouth. I flinched at the sound of tearing-skin. "Which one of you killed Sophia Brown?" Mason said menacingly. Not taking his eyes off me. I stared him down until he took his eyes of me and went to Alex.

"Hmm? No one huh?" I avoided eye contact with him and started directly at Alex. He wouldn't rat me out, but I do know he'd take the blame for it. I shook my head discreetly at him as I watched his face change. I know what he's thinking.

"Okay then, if none of you killed her, we're going to play a little game. It's called Truth. I, Mason, torture one of you until the other tells the truth. Lets see how long you can last for." 

Mason nodded at one of the guys who came over and stood by Alex, "Don't fucking touch him!" I screeched, "Elle it's okay. I'll be fine." Mason punched Alex in the face, causing a yelp to come from me, "Stop it, you're hurting him!" I screamed, tears pouring down my face.

"Tell the fucking truth you stupid bitch!" Mason yelled at me, hitting Alex again.

"IT WAS ME. I killed Sophia." I told the truth. Mason stopped immediately. I tried to scooch my chair closer to Alex, "Are you okay? Alex?" "Shut up, I didn't kill him." 

Mason grabbed my by the hair and yanked me down, so his face was close to mine. "You and I are going to have a little chat. Randy, take her." 

I was untied and thrown over someone's shoulder, "Put me down you oaf! Right now." I kicked and screamed. I watched upside down as we left the kitchen, Alex was left alone. At least he'll be fine.

Luckily, the hairclip in my hair was still there as I reached into my hair and pulled it out. I twisted it and it finally broke just as we got outside. I fastened it between my fingers as I got ready to take my aim.

I was shaking violently as the guy who was holding me dropped me to my feet and pushed me into a car.

I sat as close to the door a possible, praying they didn't lock me inside.

Mason got in beside me, wiping Alex's blood off his hands as he tapped the partition of the window. The tinted side went up and he smirked at me. 

"Go to hell bitch." I sneered.

* * * 

hiiii

how'd you like this chapter?