thirty nine

Elle McBriar
May 21st, 1 year and 178 days since the first zombie report

Elaine was standing in the doorway, hair sticking out and arms crossed.

"You saw it too?" She nodded, "Oh thank God I'm not going crazy." I mumbled.

"What the hell is that, Elle?"

I shrugged, "It's been showing up since yesterday. These- weird cryptic messages. I don't know- that's why Pax was calling me crazy, because I was on edge. And he didn't believe me."

She rolled her eyes and sat down, "Trust me. I believe you. But who the hell could have written it? It wasn't any of us."

Penny looked beyond confused, "All I know is- someone came in here in the middle of the night and wrote it. I don't know if they were trying to scare us or me- because for some reason I'm the only one who is seeing things."

"Wait- can someone please show me this message?"

I stood up, as did Elaine and Penny and we walked into the bathroom.

But just to my dismay, the message was gone. Elaine sucked in a breath, "You did see it right?" She mumbled, "Yes. Of course I did."

"Does that mean the person i'm that did this is still here?" Penny spoke softly, almost scared to talk normally.

"I'd hate to say yes but something tells me you're right."

"What the hell are we going to do? I'm not going back up the stairs and I am most definitely not, going up there to warn the others." Elaine said, folding her arms.

"No it's okay. Are you guys okay to wait in the kitchen while I go wake up Paxton?"

They gave each other a look and then I sighed, "Fine. Come on then."

Heading into the room that Pax was in, I tip toed to the bed and sat down, "Elle?" He mumbled in his sleep.

"You need to get up, now." I said, "What's the time?" He asked, "Doesn't matter. You need to get up." He groaned, "No."

I turned on the light and he cursed, shoving his face into the pillow, "What the hell?" He said, "Why are the girls in here?" He sighed, "Because. There's someone in the house." Penny blurted out.

Paxtons head shot up, "What? What do you mean there's someone in the house?"

"It's hard to explain, but you know how you've been calling me crazy? And calling me paranoid for seeing all these things?" He nodded, "Elaine saw them too."

He rolled his eyes, "So you're both crazy."

I stood up, "Thanks for making sure we don't die Paxton. You're a great help."

I walked out of the room, "Wait- hold on." I heard him say. I headed back into the kitchen and sat down on the chair, staring at the little tiny things that were in our necks.

"Elle, I'm sorry. Can you tell me what happened?" I ignored him and picked up the device, closing one eye and squinting so I can see the tiny details.

"Elle?"

"You're gonna call me crazy and judge me and then laugh. So no, I'm not going to tel you Paxton."

He sat down on the chair, as did the rest of them, "What happened?"

"Oh for goodness sake-" Elaine spat, "There was a message written on the mirror in the bathroom and I came in here to tell them and Elle said that she saw the same thing."

Paxton has a straight face, "So what's the problem then?"

I sighed, "When we went back in there to show Penny, it was gone."

"Yeah, and from what they were telling me... I'm pretty sure it wasn't red lipstick it was written in."

Paxton rubbed a hand over his face and sighed, "Okay. Wait here, I'll go get Alex and Megan."

We stayed put, silently staring at each other.

"What's gonna happen? Are we gonna get attacked again?" Penny asked, looking unphased by it all.

"Probably. It's nothing we can't handle though."

Alex and Megan walked into the kitchen a few minutes later, tired and cranky looking.

"Okay. What's the problem."

* * *

It was sunrise when we'd finally finished talking. Conspiracy theories, arguments and shit load of wine later... we were all talked out.

"Okay. I believe you. I mean, we're definitely being targeted. Those people who chased Elle and Pax off the road definitely weren't doing it to be nice." Alex scoffed, leaning on his palms.

I heard the tiny cries of Gage upstairs as Megan hurried off to fetch him. Just as she left, a very tired Riley case walking into the room.

"Hey bud." Alex said. Riley leaned just forehead against Alex's leg, "I'm tired."

"Why's that?" Alex asked, "You guys are loud." He frowned, "Oh Aunty Elle and Uncle Paxton are here. Hello." He greeted, waving at us.

I waved back and he went back to being in a mood.

"Well, I don't know about you guys but I'm in desperate need of a shower. So, I'll be on my way." I said, hopping off the kitchen counter and heading out the door.

I feel a little at ease. Almost like, knowing that someone is watching us is better than not knowing.

At least if things feel weird, we won't feel like we're going crazy.

I crossed the road and was about to walk the path to my house when I heard my name being called from the house.

Quickly running back, I found them all huddled around the kitchen table

"What? What is it?" I asked. Elaine pointed to the device.

It was beeping, and shaking and making a weird gurgling noise.

I tried to pick it up, but Alex slapped it out of my hand, "What are you doing? It could burn you or something."

I ignored his warning signs, "Wouldn't be the first time." I shrugged.

Picking it up anyway, it seemed to react more to my touch.

"So it's a censor." I said.

Slowly walking, it almost felt like a magnet, being drawn to the other squealing devices, "Pick up the other ones."

So they did.

I walked the length of the house, "You guys go one way, I'll go the other."

I started towards the stairs. It almost exploded because of the magnetic electricity.

"What the hell is it?" I heard someone say, "I don't know." I replied.

I stopped in front of Alex and Megan's room. The device seemed to calm down completely.

I walked inside and towards the crib leaning against the wall.

My eyes widened as fear gripped my throat.

No.

"Give me the devices now." I shouted, running down the stairs. I was met with Penny and Elaine, "What are you talking about?"

"Give." They chucked it into my hands. Once I had all of them, I drowned them in water so they stopped beeping.

"Elle what's going on?"

Running outside, I used all the strength I had and threw the the devices over the hill. They landed in the bushes somewhere.

"What was that?" Alex asked, concerned.

"Trackers."

* * *

hiii

i really wanted to say 'tracker jackers' but then i realised that'd be copying hunger games lol