thirty two

Elle McBriar
May 17th, 1 year and 174 days since the first zombie report

"Wowza, this place is huge!" Elaine exclaimed, gazing at the open plan mall, high ceilings and wide shops.

"Look at all this stuff." My voice echoed throughout the empty mall and it sent shivers down my spine.

A crackle came through on the radio connected to my hip, "Hello?" I answered, "Hi, how's it going?" Paxton asked.

"Good. We're just walking. How are you guys?" I heard background noise but couldn't make it out, "Bored but we're managing. When uh- do you think you'll be home?"

"No idea, why? What have you done?"

"Nothing! Gosh, I'm just wondering because I miss your face." I smirked, "Charmer." He scoffed into the radio and hung up.

"So, what first? Movies, nails?"

Elaine led the way, weening through shops and weird department stores. At one point, we walked up some escalators.

"Where are we going?" I whined, annoyed because my feet ached.

"I want to show you something. I saw it on a sign when we came in."

We stopped in front of a wedding shop. A wedding dress shop.

"What are we doing here?" I laughed, "I thought we could try some on? Pretend to get married or something."

I walked into the shop and my hand subconsciously went out to touch the dresses, "These are beautiful. I could never pull these off." I said, gazing at the beautiful white dresses.

"You so can, shut up."

I picked one off the rack and my eyes expanded at the price, "This dress is literally two thousand dollars." I blew air out of my mouth, "Good thing you don't have to pay for it."

She's got a point.

"Here, try this on." She handed a simple white dress, "You're ridiculous."

I took it from her and tried it on, "Wow. If you were into women, you would be naked right now."

"Jesus Elaine, you have no filter do you." She smirked.

I like this dress. It's plain white, no pleats or sequins or buttons. Plain white. Spaghetti straps, a sexy sweetheart neckline which showed a daring amount of cleavage.

It had a slit up the side and reached to my mid calf.

"Wow Elaine- I love this dress." I whispered, stunned, "You look absolutely beautiful."

Tears started to well in my eyes and Elaine spun me round, worried, "What's going on? Why are you crying?" She asked. I shrugged, "I don't know. I just know that I'll never get married or have kids or live the life I wanted."

"And what's that? Pay tax and work til you die? You're free baby, live it."

I know she's right. And I need to start living. I can't live in constant fear all the time, "Even if I did get married, there's not priests or anyone qualified to officiate anything." I shrugged.

She didn't say anything so I assume she didn't hear me, "You should get that dress, it would kill Paxton."

I took it off and placed it back on the coat hanger, slinging it over my arm, "What if he gets the wrong idea?" I bite my lip, "He won't. Trust me."

Aside from my feet aching and my stomach grumbling from the lack of food, today was a pretty good day.

"Can we go now?" I ask, "Um sure. Can I have the radio for a second?" She asks.

I hand her her the radio and she walks to another shop. I can faintly hear her talking. I want to eavesdrop but I know that's rude.

I stay put, glancing at the pretty dress in my hands.

I hear footsteps behind me and turn around, but no ones there. I see Elaine with her back still to me.

What the hell?

I ignore it slightly and keep my eyes on Elaine. I hear it again and don't dare turn around. Maybe I'm hallucinating?

My hand goes to the gun that is holstered in my waist and I wait for something to happen again. But nothing does.

"Elle?"

I realised I zoned out and look up to see the worried face of Elaine, "You okay?"
I ask, "Are you okay?"

I follow her eyes which are pointed at my waist. Where I realised I've taken the gun out. I put it back in and laugh nervously.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Sorry- instinct. So, can we go?" I swallow, "Uh yeah, this way."

* * *

The drive home was silent. I was happy about the dress and tired from all the walking.

We got to the house and I thanked Elaine for the wonderful day, yawning as I headed inside.

"You're back." Paxton grins, holding my face and kissing my hair, "Hi." I said back, "How was it?" He asked, "Good. I'm so tired though, we did lots of walking."

"What'd you get?" He glanced at the dress in my hands as I shoved it behind my back, "Nothing. Just a uh- dress."

His eyes narrowed but he shrugged, "Okay. I'll be in the living room."

I ran upstairs to hang the dress up, away from his prying eyes. At least he's not being weird anymore.

I went to the living room to find Paxton. He was sitting on the floor with his legs crossed and a picture book in his hands.

There was a sleepy Riley, half-asleep in the sun, laying on his uncles lap while he read him a story.

I love how good he is with kids!

I admired him from afar.

His gorgeous brown hair that curled at the ends, dangerous dark brown eyes that made me fall dangerously in love. His lips, that can do oh-so wonderous things.

His hands that hold Riley, and have held me for many, many moments. Comforting me. He's so gentle.

He acts tough, but he's such a softy in real life. I love him, so much!

He noticed me watching him because he looked up and smiled, putting the picture book down and carrying Riley.

"I'm gonna go put him to bed." He whispered. I nodded as he kissed my cheek.

It's small things like, kissing my cheek as he walks past, bringing me water when I forget to forget to drink it. He cares about me and it makes me feel like I deserve the life I'm living.

He makes me a better person.

* * *

hiiii

who else ships paxelle? 🙋🏻‍♀️

also, which POV do you guys like? elle or paxtons??