Chapter Eight - Part Two

The following morning, as they shared a meal, everyone gathered to hear what news Celik had.

His recounting was concise.

Edileth had been introduced to Celik several summers ago, upon her first attendance to one of the Ferlian Order's semi-annual gatherings. She had been but seventeen summers at the time, and the rothnak in charge of looking after her had hovered around Edileth as if expecting her to make a grave mistake.

At each of the Ferlian gatherings Celik had been just as he was now: a soft-spoken elf of few words. Seldom did he engage others in conversation and – on the occasion he did – his words were brief.

Now, as he spoke of his journey to the Drezkens, Edileth studied the Kenim Naduhl who often hid in the shadowed and secluded places of the banquet halls.

He wore the garments characteristic of the superior class of rangers; a long coat worn over a special cowl. The fabric of these two articles of clothing were such that, when still, the wearer could all but disappear into his surroundings.

Most elves kept their hair no shorter than the length of the shoulder, but his reached no further than the tip of his nose.

His eyes were intense as he spoke. Edileth had heard plenty of prattle from the other young maidens who attended the Ferlian gatherings – all of whom seemed infatuated with the Kenim Naduhl – though he had shown no sign of interest in anyone.

As if feeling her gaze upon him, Celik shifted his gaze to Edileth. She looked away, heat rising in her face.

Marvelous. Let's behave like an enamored little girl, shall we?

"Not much for news," finished Celik. Save for the moment he found Marrik, he had not otherwise endured great difficulty.

"Well, we are glad you finally–"

A voice interrupted Yena mid-speech, bouncing magnificently through the ruins. Edileth jumped in her seat.

"Is that..." Joenek started, looking around. "Is that Arun?"

The blacksmith appeared moments later, following the smell of Yena's cooking. Joenek jumped to his feet and they each took a turn pounding one another on the back.

"What are you doing here?"

"Aren'na you glad to see your old friend? Thought for sure you'd be glad for my boisterous presence in this dismal place." Arun dug an elbow into Joenek's side with a laugh. His face sobered, then. "Though I don't suppose ye'll be quite so pleased when you hear what I have to say."

Torben stepped forward and placed a hand upon Arun's shoulder, his face taut. "What brings you here, friend? What news have you?"

"Naught but ill news, I'm a-feared."

"What more could go wrong?" Joenek mutterd under his breath.

Edileth was inclined to agree. But before Arun could share his news, Joenek started glancing about the room, shivering as though drenched in the Riddaein waters.

"Are ye feeling well, Joen?"

Joen gave a forced laugh and simply shook his head. "I'm fine. Come, sit with me."

"As I was sayin', things have taken a turn for the worse. La'el was attacked." At everyone's gasps and grumbles, Arun nodded his head. "Aye, 'twere ungodly chaos. Many of the nobles were slaughtered; Repind was among 'em."

Edileth sat in stunned silence. She glanced to the other elves; their faces mirrored her own shock. Yena wrung her hands, bowing her head. Rikku's eyes shimmered with tears.