Chapter Twenty-Six - Part Two

"Marrik!"

Edileth stared in horror, as the scholar faced the same sort of creature she had been tormented by in Gallimna. She shuddered from the memory of its mind invading her own.

Marrik turned toward her. His shoulders seemed to droop, and his head tilted downward while shaking. Taking a sigh, the roth looked back to Edileth.

"Save your energy, Edileth."

Confusion filled the rothnak. She noted the creature standing with his large, chopping blade pointed at Marrik, who was unarmed. Despite the situation, the scholar seemed unaffected by the danger. A sinking feeling washed over Edileth.

"W-what do you mean? Marrik, come quickly."

"Oh, Edileth. You are such a fool. You all were."

A voice behind the blonde startled her.

"Marrik, what are you doing?"

Joenek held his own sword at the ready; Arun stood beside him, mace in hand. The rothni looked just as bewildered as Edileth felt. She turned back toward Marrik. The scholar crossed his arms.

"I lied. And now I'm returning the Hibh en Gredhe to its rightful owner."

He turned, then, as if to leave. Edileth barely had time to register the flash of movement that darted past her. It was not until she saw Rikku rushing toward Marrik that Edileth realized what was happening. A sense of dread washed over her, and the blonde felt her body lunge forward.

"Marrik, get back!"

Rikku unsheathed her single-handed sword, urging the scholar to flee. As Edileth drew near to save Rikku from imminent danger, she thought she saw a look of guilt cross Marrik's face. The Si-olian creature raised his weapon, preparing to strike the animal keeper.

"Stay back! Rikku, stay back, I say!" Marrik held his hands out.

Edileth watched in horror as the small rothnak halted too late. The enemy's arm swung in a downward arch, aiming for Rikku's throat. Without thought, Edileth found herself tackling the animal keeper, realizing as she landed on the hard stone, that the screaming sound that had rung in her ears was from her own lips.

Trying to catch her breath from the fall, Edileth looked up, certain that her life was in peril. However, chaos had broken out, and kept her safe for a moment. Joenek and Arun must have followed on her heels, and a number of Elaborathin had come from some secret hiding place.

Glancing to Rikku, who lay still upon the ground, the mind-speaker felt dread rising within. Edileth rolled over and leaned over the animal keeper.

The blonde let loose a sigh of relief when she saw that the other rothnak was still breathing. She looked over Rikku's body, looking for any obvious signs of injury.

A shadow fell over the rothnash. Edileth looked up. Marrik's face was pale. He stretched out his hand, as if to touch Rikku. Filled with anger, Edileth leapt up, shoving the scholar.

"Stay away!"

"I-I...didn't mean for this to happen."

Marrik looked ill. He swallowed, staring at Rikku. Edileth found that she was shaking in rage. She felt someone pull her away from the scholar. Feeling out of control, Edileth found herself shouting and fighting against the elf who had grabbed her arm.

"Edileth!"

She felt her body whip around, and she stood face to face with Joenek. He gripped her shoulders, giving her a good shake. When she looked into his eyes, the roth spoke.