Chapter Eighteen - Part One

That evening, after everyone had eaten and began settling in for the night; the Ferlians received a rather disagreeable guest. Edileth watched in apprehension as Jich neared their circle. Since the incident with Adhraena, the dark-haired elf had quite ignored the smaller group of elves. The blonde female wondered if he had now come to banish them.

With a small grunt, Torben stood to greet Jich. Bearing his usual sour scowl, the thin elf waved away the hannorim's attempted welcome.

"I'll need one of you to help with the third watch."

"I shall do it."

Celik stood, expecting instruction. Instead, Jich's cold eyes casually glided over the Kenim Naduhl and, with a sniff and a nod, he turned away from the Ferlian group.

A cowardly roth is often more dangerous than an evil one. Sheem's voice was quiet in her mind.

Hmm...yes. They will do whatever it takes to survive; even if it means destroying the lives of those they claim to love. But, when one thinks on it, he may find that an evil-minded elf is often a cowardly one, as well.

Ah! So, she truly can mind-speak. I was beginning to have my doubts.

Edileth had rather surprised herself, truth be told. She had fought against her abilities for so long – as if refusing to use them would somehow make the mind-speaking disappear. And yet, having done so with Sheem almost felt natural.

Agitation flared within her.

What's wrong? Sheem's voice came with slight hesitation.

Shouldn't you know? Edileth gave a mental snort. You are already in my mind, after all.

It doesn't work in that way, Edileth.

Fueled by her frustration, the young rothnak lashed out at the boy.

And how do you expect me to know that? I already told you that I have had no training; I think it's rather safe for you to assume that I know nothing.

Sheem bore a dubious expression. Before he had a chance to recover, Joenek's voice interrupted the mental communication.

"Are you okay, Enári?" When Edileth turned glowering eyes his way, the roth's amused grin disappeared. "You looked about ready to kill something."

"I'm fine."

To prevent further questioning, Edileth moved outside the circle and lay upon the soggy earth.

While the rain had ceased a few hours prior, a dank sort of moisture still permeated the air, and her clothing was still sufficiently damp. Her blanket was yet with Marrik, and was likely soaked through anyway, so Edileth did not see the harm in lying on the sodden earth.

You never told me what was bothering you.

Edileth gave a mental snarl.

You speak of my stubbornness, but what of you? I do not think I've met a more persistent elf.

That still doesn't answer my question. The boy's voice held a tone of mirth.

Oh, very well, then. I do not care for mind-speaking but doing so with you nearly makes it feel normal. Quite honestly, that terrifies me; I do not want to learn how to mind-speak. So much has been changing as of late, and I detest it.

I understand.

Edileth could sense his sincerity.

So, how is it you were in my mind and knew that something was troubling me, but did not know what it was?