Chapter Fifteen - Part One

Author's note: The remaining chapters are original, with minimal plotting edits. This original manuscript of Warrior of Light meandered quite a bit, focusing on character interaction and was more an exercise to figure out their personalities and how I wanted to reach a decent ending for the first book. I had no real goals for the storyline, allowing the characters to take me on rather circuitous paths that did not add to the tale. I have since become better acquainted with my characters and their motives and have made some drastic alterations to the pacing of WoL. I have removed massive sections of 'fluff' that do not add to the plot and character development.

For this reason, you will notice that the 'minimally-edited' version of chapter fifteen covers events which occurred in previous chapters of the revised manuscript. There may also be a few things mentioned from the original transcript that were removed when I revised it. I thank you for your understanding and hope you still find some enjoyment from the rest of the story (unpolished though it may be).

The next morning, the Ferlians prepared to leave. Arun and Joenek brought food up from the kitchen, while the others bustled about, packing their belongings. They all ate in relative quiet; occasionally making some small comment.

There came a rather surprising moment, however, when Marrik awoke from his delirious state; groggy, but altogether more aware than he had previously been. Yena poked her head out of the smaller room with a look of excitement in her features and bid them enter.

The elves gradually shuffled through the door to see how their companion fared. Joenek hung back – not because he was shy, but for the simple fact that he wished to respect the others' moment of joy.

At first, the room was filled with four voices asking four variations of the same thing. Torben, Rikku, Arun, and Celik glanced at one another with amused grins or small chortles. Joenek noted that Edileth had not joined in the group's questioning. Even now, as Torben asked Marrik how he was feeling, the young she-elf gazed at the subject of commotion with unease. Curiosity stirred within Joenek as he continued to study the blonde elf.

"...Joenek..."

The roth was snapped out of his daze, as he heard Yena begin telling Marrik about how he had become a member of the group. Joenek quickly looked away from Edileth, as the others turned to him.

Now that the attention was upon him, Joenek moved toward the front of the group, giving a wide smile. He stretched his hand out to Marrik, grasping the other's forearm in the manner common among male friends. A cunning sort of grin spread across the raven-haired elf's face. Joenek gave a greeting.

"It's nice to finally meet you, officially. Technically, I met you a couple days ago...you weren't exactly talkative, though."

There was a chorus of chuckling, and Marrik's grin widened into a somewhat crooked-toothed smile.

"Well, I'm sorry I couldn't be more obliging upon our first meeting."

His voice was rather deep and there was hoarseness to it from lack of use. Joenek was also surprised at the thick, throaty sort of accent. Though it seemed familiar, he could not quite place it.

There was another bout of chortling before Yena shooed the group from the room so that she could tend Marrik's wound and provide further care.

As everyone settled about the room to wait, Joenek sauntered toward Edileth. After the dream he had had in the middle of the night, he felt a bit awkward around her. But after seeing the anxiety in her features only moments ago, he wanted to know what had bothered her so.