Chapter Nine - Part One

"We've arrived, at last, Vín."

Vínmorr turned to Kherr Prochk, who had just brought his stallion alongside Shígra. The horse tossed its head in displeasure, releasing a sharp, whistling exhale through his nostrils. Shígra let loose a low growl, but otherwise ignored the horse and rider.

The Kherr laughed at Vínmorr's disinterest.

"You don't seem so pleased. I, for one, am looking forward to a nice soak after this long, dusty journey. I don't see the appeal in all this war business. All it means is hard travelling, eating scraps, and weeks of waiting. But the worst part is–"

"None of your precious harlots."

Kherr Prochk clutched his chest with a dramatic flair, as though the very thought had brought deep heartache.

"It is a tragedy. If it weren't for all the glory and riches I'll get at the end of this, I wouldn't even bother coming."

Vínmorr lifted a brow ridge.

"The fact that you would be executed for treachery doesn't play a role in your decision?"

"That is but a minor risk that comes with our occupation." Prochk waved his hand, dismissing the topic.

Returning his gaze to the front, Vínmorr watched the banners of the encampment drift lazily in the breeze. Their dark gray faces nearly blended into the mountains the tents were nestled against. The corner of his mouth dipped in displeasure.

Two weeks had passed since Vínmorr left Chírek with Movv Khaia and Kherr Prochk. Together they had journeyed south to Resh Mógrak in the Khírim Forest. There, Khaia explained that the shekk whom Vínmorr would be replacing had been executed for traitorous acts. What those acts were, Khaia did not divulge.

The forces that Vínmorr would be leading had already arrived at the encampment near the eastern border of Fekklorn. When Vínmorr had requested that he be permitted to travel ahead, Khaia had smiled and shook his head as if speaking to a child.

"You yet require some tutelage," Movv Khaia had said. "I would make a poor leader if I sent you ahead without first assisting you."

From the time they had departed Resh Mógrak, Vínmorr felt certain it had simply been a ploy to observe him and ensure he did not attempt to flee. Khaia was a constant presence, ever looming in the shadows or watching from among the marching ranks.

Even now, within sight of the encampment, Vínmorr was certain he felt Movv Khaia's eyes upon him. He glanced over his shoulder, sweeping his gaze over the legions under Kherr Prochk's command.

He heard a sharp growl from Shígra in unison with Movv Khaia's voice.

"Looking for something, in particular?"

Vínmorr shifted his gaze to the left. He turned his head a little farther so that he could view Movv Khaia with his good eye. The Movv studied him. Vínmorr nodded his head in greeting and spoke.

"I was observing the lay of the land. Should the Narenthians come to hinder our entrance, I want to know how we might use the surroundings to our advantage."

Khaia's eyes glimmered. He lifted his chin and turned to face the front. A small smile played at the corner of his mouth. At last, Movv Khaia glanced at Vínmorr – barely turning his head – and spoke.

"Akkheron is, indeed, most wise. Your kind are far more intelligent than those brainless brutes that he first created. You almost behave like an elf."

Vínmorr chose to ignore the jab and returned his gaze to the encampment ahead. As they drew closer, he felt a growing sense of dread.

Too many elves, he thought. Perhaps I can fall back and remain on the outskirts.