Chapter Twenty-Four - Part One

Raemille stood with a sense of urgency. The other elders soon followed suit, looking to one another with concern. Joenek looked to the elves he had travelled with, as if to glean some form of information from their expressions. No answers were found among his companions; their faces mirrored his own confusion.

With hesitation, the roth glanced to Edileth, feeling his heart give an odd lurch as he did so. Her eyes were widened with unrestrained concern, and even from where he sat, Joenek could see the tension in her body. She was ready to leap into action, should the situation require it. And yet, there was subtle evidence of alarm in the rothnak's posture. Joenek felt a fierce desire to protect Edileth stir within him.

"That is the call of warning. Danger is not yet upon Filne-Semmit, but it draws near. I will seek audience with Lord Rettinne at once to discern what force threatens to assail this great city. Torbethnik Min-Ilven, perhaps thou wouldst care to accompany me?"

"Verily, Fídh Hruban." The ancient elf stood, placing a reassuring hand upon his wife's shoulder. "Perhaps now would be an apt time to disband. I suspect this shall take some time. I encourage everyone to rest for what remains of these dark hours of the morn. Whence I've a better understanding of the situation, I shall send for each of you."

With surprising speed, Torbethnik dashed out the door, Hruban rushing to match the elder roth's pace.

Joenek stood, feeling his exhaustion fall upon him all at once. His eyes felt as though they were filled with dust and debris. The roth stretched his muscles, easing the slight ache that had built up in them from the hours of sitting.

"Oy, thet be som news, eh? I canna hardly believe 'at Torben 'as been Torbet'nik dis 'ole time."

Arun pounded Joenek's back. Everyone was moving from the meeting chamber, shuffling down the halls in a daze. Joenek turned to look at his friend.

"It is crazy...I never would have guessed it."

Edileth seemed to know, though. I wonder how she figured it out.

"Aye, thet be sure. I doz wonder, t'ough, who thet a-foretold 'ne is."

"Hey, uh, I'll talk with you later. I, er, need to ask someone a question."

Arun smirked in amusement, his eyes twinkling in response.

"Aye, go an' talk wit' Edileth, Joen. The two of ya've been actin' odd all day. I suspect as she'll try givin' ya the runaround. But ye jest a-keep showrin' 'er wit' yer affections."

"Oh, hush. You don't know what you're talking about." Joenek rolled his eyes and let loose a nervous laugh.

"Oy, oy...I mightna be the most dashin' o' rothni, but I's got an eye fer infatuated elves. I spots it in ya...and I dare say, Edileth'll come 'round if ya give 'er time."

"If you say so, Arun."

Joenek dashed down the hall, shaking his head.

Despite his weariness, Joenek moved with haste, hoping to reach Edileth before she entered her private chambers. He was equal parts relieved and apprehensive when he rounded the corner and nearly ran into the very topic of his thoughts.

Edileth turned sharply, then, seeing him, ducked her head with all haste and moved toward the door of her chambers. She had not, however, moved fast enough to hide the flush of colour that spread across her features. Joenek was struck again by how such simple things could affect him so. Taking a calming breath, the roth followed the blonde to her door.

As Edileth opened the door, Joenek flung his arm out, clutching the wall, to block the rothnak's entrance. With notable annoyance, Edileth ducked beneath his arm and darted into her chambers. She made to slam the door on him, but Joenek planted his foot in its path, foiling Edileth's attempt at escape.