Chapter Twenty-One - Part Three

"Indeed, they had been. Yet there ever existed whispered rumors concerning the Tomes. Edwiron's family has long been deciphering such tales, in hopes of ascertaining the best method of deposing Akkheron."

"Incredible..." Marrik stared at the table. "All this time..."

The scholar seemed rather lost in thought. Edileth wondered if, perhaps, he was envious of Edwron's massive discovery. He seemed to realize the others were giving him odd looks, for he lifted his head and smiled.

"We finally have a chance; and a sense of hope to spread throughout Naine Mithale."

Everyone nodded their agreement. Everyone, that is, but Joenek. He simply sat, looking quite lost. Rolling her eyes, Edileth cleared her throat.

"Joenek, do you not recall what Torben told us in Gallimna?"

For a moment, the dark-haired elf seemed to be in a state of utter confusion. The rothnak couldn't help the smile that crept onto her face when Joenek had, apparently, recalled what Torben had briefly mentioned about Torbedhnik. His eyes widened in understanding, and his mouth gaped for a short time.

Her companions chortled a bit. However, Yenish grew agitated, once more. His face twisted into a sour sort of expression.

"You spoke of the Hibh en Gredhe and of Torbedhnik?"

Edileth watched as Torben sighed, appearing to struggle with some form of inner conflict. She moved her níadh toward the hannorim's with tentative care. Just as she prepared to brush against Torben's mind, the rothnak felt a sense of apprehension from Sheem and, simultaneously, came against a powerful force.

"Umph."

Edileth put a hand to her head, as an odd sort of pain began throbbing in her mind. She waved away a concerned question, claiming a sudden case of headache; which wasn't far from the truth.

What happened?

She sensed that Sheem, too, had experienced pain from the attempted mental contact.

I tried to warn you, but you were too quick. I had attempted, once, to touch the outer edges of Torben's níadh; I was rewarded with much the same sensation. I have heard that hannorim are typically very close to being mind-speakers, themselves; which explains why my second Gift would be mind-speaking. Sheem paused. And yet, whatever it is that surrounds his mental aura is like nothing I've ever felt. I've never even heard of anything like it.

Do you think Torben can mind-speak, as well?

Edileth felt unnerved by the possibility.

I'm not sure.

Oh, I nearly forgot; Torben couldn't possibly be...

The she-elf recalled the incident with the "Elabora-thing." She turned her gaze back to the hannorim, studying him as if staring would reveal some form of answer.

I have a feeling Torben holds many secrets.

Edileth pondered the lad's words, deciding that he was quite likely correct. She then shifted her attention back to the discussion at hand.

Yenish had been convinced – only just – that Joenek was a part of their group, had done much to assist them, and had much more to do for the cause.

The remainder of the meeting was filled with news of the various enemy attacks that had become more prevalent in the last two weeks. All throughout the Western Region, entire villages and towns were being ravaged and razed.

"King Hefh has requested the aid of Kings Diabol and Celibírin. Even Filne-Semmit has been provided with additional Eb-dae, as thou mightst have noticed upon entering our fair city."